Author Topic: Looking for a test bar  (Read 15406 times)

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Looking for a test bar
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
'Miner' and I were having our usual friendly 'across the Pond' discussion which has resulted in him getting the George Schlesinger book.
Again, I recalled both 'Ned' Westbury, the editor of ME and Tom Walshaw writing as Tubal Cain both writing on alignment.
On my hard drive, I had kept the TC In the Workshop article in which he raised the question of why should a lathe be bolted down.
Aye, from a man who taught engineering all his long life and who was respected all over the full size and model world.

Anyway, my efforts to publish some of what I regarded as the Best of Model Engieering was smashed by solicitors and I thought that all my work had been for nothing.

Then I found a reference which has far more that - what the tolerances -- well, no, read it for yourself.
www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_files/

Yes, Peter, we are doing rather well! There's a lot more about a lot of things.

Offline Miner

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
Well since "Clocking round" a test bar was mentioned I'd like to add one further point of fact about doing that. It's VERY easy to get fooled by the effects of gravity. It really is amazing just how much a light weight DTI will flex a 1/4" rod. And that's with a very short extension. I'm speaking of multiple thousands and not 10 thousandths. Any Dial Indicator or Dial Test Indicator requires a really rigid set up if it's attached to the lathes spindle and rotated while clocking a test bar. That fact took me more than a few hours to figure out after chasing problems that were not there. :bang:

Pete

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
Pete,
          Stand back for the article from the great Tubal Cain agreeing with you. Not the one in the Book of Kings but quite authoritive all the same

Fergus O'Doodah

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
'Miner' and I were having our usual friendly 'across the Pond' discussion which has resulted in him getting the George Schlesinger book.
Again, I recalled both 'Ned' Westbury, the editor of ME and Tom Walshaw writing as Tubal Cain both writing on alignment.
On my hard drive, I had kept the TC In the Workshop article in which he raised the question of why should a lathe be bolted down.
Aye, from a man who taught engineering all his long life and who was respected all over the full size and model world.

Anyway, my efforts to publish some of what I regarded as the Best of Model Engieering was smashed by solicitors and I thought that all my work had been for nothing.

Then I found a reference which has far more that - what the tolerances -- well, no, read it for yourself.
www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_files/

Yes, Peter, we are doing rather well! There's a lot more about a lot of things.

Fergus

Your link seems to give me a 404 error. Any chance of checking it for us?

Cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 02:39:39 AM »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 05:32:33 AM »
Ok folks, I'm locking this thread as it seems to be going more Off Topic more than it is helping.

For what it's worth, I think that both of the OP's points have been covered (source of a test bar, and also info on "dialing" in a lathe for more accuracy)

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME