Author Topic: 3D modeling software wanted.  (Read 32079 times)

Offline clivel

Re: 3D modeling software wanted.
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »
For £70 you can`t complain at all getting 3d models like that - infact, you are tempting me to purchase as an early birthday present to myself :-)

You can get it even cheaper than that, they periodically offer discounts. I bought it for 30% off, just Google "Viacad coupon code" to find the discounts.

However I have never had much joy with the program. Others can and do do useful work with it  (as per Phil's examples above), but the light has never come on for me. I find that the documentation is not at all helpful, and the tutorials supplied with the package are so trivial that they don't really aid one's understanding.

I periodically load the program up in a burst of enthusiasm, intent to come to terms with it I once more work through the tutorials, but always with the same result, I seem incapable of making any further progress, so just another wasted evening ending in frustration.

Another alternative would be FreeCAD http://www.freecadweb.org/ an open source parametric 3D modeller, which as its name implies is completely free.
Clive

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
Clive,
Have you tried FreeCAD yet ?
 :beer:
DaveH

(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline clivel

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »
Hi DaveH,
I haven't yet, but from watching a few of the video tutorials available at http://freecad-tutorial.blogspot.ca/ it looks very promising.
There are more tutorials available via the FreeCAD site, not all are video though, some are text which I actually find is often easier to work along with such as this description of creating an engine block  http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Engine_Block_Tutorial
Clive

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
Does anyone on here use AutoCAD Autodesk Inventor  ??

Offline ChrisC

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 04:47:31 AM »
Yes I've been using Inventor professional for my business for years.  It is a great piece of software.  It is ridiculously expensive, but I have found that once you get to grips with it (or any similar program such as Solidworks) it is much more productive than 2D CAD for the sort of work I use it for. 

I think many people think that Inventor is simply a re-packaged version of Autocad.  It isn't, it has pretty much nothing in common with Autocad (although they have been changing the Autocad tool bar to more closely reflect the Inventor toolbar), and being proficient with Autocad won't really help learning to use Inventor.

My son is a University student and uses the free educational version to create part drawings for his 3D printer.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »
Hi Chris
After being on the hunt for a 3d cad package for years, I`ve just realised that being an "educator" I am entitled to the student free inventor. I`m really enjoying it! It is apparently identical to the full pro version but with a small student watermark in the bottom of your drawings. It is going to take a fair bit of studying!
Chris

Offline ChrisC

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
Hi Chris,

Yes I'm afraid that there is a pretty steep learning curve associated with all 3D CAD systems, I don't think Inventor is much better or worse than other packaged in that respect.

Once you get your head round the way things are done, it gets a lot easier, and dare I say quite enjoyable at times (as long as the deadlines aren't too close!).

Keep at it, you'll soon get the hang of it.  There are some text books, but they cost a fortune.  Have a look on Youtube, there are a few tutorials, some of which are quite good.

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:04 AM »
My brother-in-law has used autocad for years and recently moved jobs where they are training him on inventor. He went on 2 days training for inventor  literally this week just gone and he showed me some of the drawings he has done and I`m pretty amazed. He has a much better understanding than me of using cad software in general but I`m hoping to learn some tips and tricks from him!
I've been using youtube as you say and will be sticking at it!

Chris

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:17 AM »
The basic methods used in 3D CAD are the same across most Solids modellers (surface modellers work a bit differently).  The point is that whilst videos and tutorials for Inventor will be best for the detail of using the software, tutorials/videos for SolidWorks, ProE, Geomagic, etc. will also be useful for giving ideas of how to approach the modelling of things.

Keep your sketch profiles as simple as possible - you will need more 3D features, but subsequent changes will be a lot easier.

Remember there are usually several different modelling approaches to any problem, don't think that there is a single 'right way'.

User forums can be very helpful.

If you are lucky you might find a free training course through a local University or similar - these are usually tied to some sort of scheme to create/safeguard jobs by getting technology/skills into industry,

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Just had an email from rs punting this 3d modeller

designspark.com/eng/page/mechanical

No idea what it's  like but it is free :)
Bill

Online philf

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »
Just had an email from rs punting this 3d modeller

designspark.com/eng/page/mechanical

No idea what it's  like but it is free :)

Hi Bill,

For free it's promising.

See http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,9058.msg99309.html#msg99309

I didn't leave it on my laptop for long but may try it again in a year or so when some more features have been added.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern