The Shop > Finishing

Gold Plating... anyone tried a kit?

(1/3) > >>

raynerd:
Like everything else, I get obsessed with doing things myself. Based on a comment made by Kvom about gold plating my pin wheel on my clock I went to see a chap who could do it with his plating setup in his kitchen. Being impressed with the price for plating the whole thing but seeing his home setup, the thoughts started creeping in...you know the ones...."I can do that myself and I can do it better" !!!

So only a quick google had me viewing kits and such on tonnes of sites. I found very little info on comments made by people who are actually gold plating. Talking numbers now, in truth the chap quotes me £140 to plate my entire clock, including 9" x 12" backplate which I thought was amazing...I was expecting a figure more than £340+!!   A half decent looking kit starts at £200 and a chap is selling one near where I live, second hand but seemingly unused for £200 with extra solutions (which are quite pricey). The chap who I went to see was having excellent results and yet the photos of the kits I have seen look very similar to the sort of thing he was using!

Now before I dive in head first as I often do, has anyone by any chance got any experience with a gold plating kit?

I believe the kit sold second hand will allow gold, silver, brass and nickle plating!

Any opinions would be welcome...

Chris

raynerd:
Just had an email from the chap who is selling the kit...it is unused and cost £400 with receipts...this one:

http://www.goldsolutions.eu/shop/article_2/GS500-Gold-plating-kit-NOW-WITH-4-HOUR-TRAINING-COURSE.html?shop_param=cid%3D32%26aid%3D2%26

bry1975:
Chris,

Check below you don't need to spend £400.

http://www.goldn.co.uk/online_shop.htm

bry1975:
Chris,

If you need the high wear parts Gold Ti nitrided giz us a PM my chap can coat parts no problems and at a good price!

Gold Tin was developed as a cheap and durable replacement to gold plating.

Borrowed TiN gold sample image below.

raynerd:
Hello Guys

Well progress has been made! I`ve managed to get hold of the chemicals required and based on what I`ve seen, put together my brush and tank plating kit. I purchased some chemicals which arrived today including the gold solution (which was v v Expensive £50 for only 100ml!!) but I have had great success!!!

I managed to plate the end of a piece of brass bar stock and then I plated a stainless steel watch back that I had lying around. It looks great and I`m well chuffed!

So I`ll do some of my clock for sure and hopefully might pick up some bits and pieces of others wanting plating work done to recoup some money on the setup. So if anyone wants anything plating then give me a shout - good prices guaranteed  :lol:  :-D

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version