Author Topic: Removing seized small grub screws  (Read 6376 times)

Offline loply

Removing seized small grub screws
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
Hi folks,

Got myself a new milling vice, a Vertex K5, and the thing is baked in solidified shipping grease which doesn't dissolve with WD40 or brake cleaner.

Got most of it removed but I can't get to the underside of the moveable jaw in order to clean it up.

There is a locking collar in front of the handle which takes the thrust when you wind the vice out. It's a standard steel collar with two grub screws securing it, which the manual describes as 'tapered pins' (I presume they are just grub screws with a point on the end, which fits into a dimple).

The problem is they take a 2.5mm hex key and they won't budge. Tried oil, heat, various types of hex keys, nothing. Luckily the heads on them haven't shredded but they definitely won't move.

Any tips on what to try here? Usually when I encounter this problem it's on a motorbike and I get the air gun out, but I'm worried about buggering the hexagon up.

Should I just drill em out?

Rich

Offline Ned Ludd

Re: Removing seized small grub screws
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »
Hi Rich,
As no one else has replied to your question let me offer this; If they are taper pins they need to be driven out with a pin punch and a hammer, not an Allen key. If they are indeed taper one end will be smaller than the other, make sure you hit the small end! If an Allen key will fit , they could be "roll pins" , which are cylindrical, in which case they will be parallel and will come out either way.

If they are really Allen grubs screws, use a key, if they round off you are no worse off as you will have to drill them out anyway.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
If it is grease causing the issue, try a little bit of heat?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »
the thing is baked in solidified shipping grease which doesn't dissolve with WD40 or brake cleaner.
Tried oil, heat,  nothing.
Rich
Quote from: swarfing
If it is grease causing the issue, try a little bit of heat?

He already tried that...

I have the same make of vice but the 4 in version..I would try the tap approach with a pin punch ...Youl'l feel any opposition to movement by the solid feeling when you hit the punch with the hammer...If they are roll pins and hollow, can you get something down the hollow?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »
Sorry missed that one
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »
You might try a short, straight, bit of 2.5mm hex key as a punch to loosen the screw. With the collar resting on a solid surface give the punch a couple or hard taps with a hammer. This should cause the screw to loosen enough to be removed.

This method has worked for me many times when dealing with sheaves and sprockets.

Joe

Offline Jonny

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »
I have a more robust type vice but the handle end is exactly the same style with the threaded collar.
One grub screw in my collar think its M10 or M8 off hand with a flat on to the thread. The collar is for adjusting backlash and jaw movement, set it right and it will seize at an inapropriate time, needs a bearing.

The grub screws not the hardest and could do with replacing, so give it some.
IF it rounds off, drill them out. Worst case could drill and tap next M size up.

Offline wildman692

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
try soaking in vinegar for a couple of days, being a mild acid it will eat ant rust making removal easy, remember to flush well afterwards.