Author Topic: Some detailed info on anodizing  (Read 9302 times)

Offline grayone

Some detailed info on anodizing
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:08:50 AM »
Hi Follks

Came across the following link when trawling through the MEN web site.  Lost of info from an pro who does it for a business. :coffee:  http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Grayone
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline David Morrow

Re: Some detailed info on anodizing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:14:42 AM »
Hi Follks

Came across the following link when trawling through the MEN web site.  Lost of info from an pro who does it for a business. :coffee:  http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Grayone

I bought a kit from them and it works great. Here are a couple of my projects that I anodized :

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
Came across that site a couple of years ago, wish it was around when i had a bash.

The only info i could get which seemed a highly regarded secret was a few sites back in 2002 all telling different stories. Last i did was 2005, gave up when gallons of sulhuric 19%  flooded the workshop :clap:

If you know where to go you can buy the chemicals direct by the gallon, i cant give sorry. You would also be geared up for Nickel, copper plated, little extra required for gold plating, just a recirculation pump.
The analogue Maplin PSU 0-30V 10A works well i bought for backup.

Might have trouble getting the right dyes, i went through everything i could get my hands on then resorted to the pro dye from a place in Leicester. What they didn't tell was the dye needed heating to 80 degrees, 90 tops. Its for that reason he states 140 degrees and why didn't buy his 'Guide'

The few areas i had trouble with were breakdown in electrical connection even driving wedges in. Alum wire was useless lost connection in secs. Notice his TI spring clip rack!

Must have another go some time still got the small 4 gallon tank.

Offline + or - Zero

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:38:29 AM »
You might like this site. I've just got all the stuff rounded up to try his method, but have not yet done so.

http://www.observationsblog.com/4/post/2011/10/anodizing-and-dying-aluminum-without-battery-acid.html

I'm using small plastic coolers (the size that hold a 6 pack) as I don't plan to do  very large parts --at least for now.

And while I will come back and tell how it went, it may be some while --it's a real back burner project for now. But I have all the stuff rounded up, so when I do get around to it, I can just do it.

Good luck.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
Always interested in the anodising but come on guys.... What about those clocks!!  :jaw:

Very nice David  :thumbup:   I'm thinking you should if you haven't already post them in the gallery  :)  (possible if you have I've missed them?)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!