Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Pumping gas

(1/8) > >>

Darren:
hypothesis:

If one wanted to pump a very low pressure, but infinite volume, of gas from one source into, a bottle to 200 Bar what type of pump would be capable?  :smart:

bogstandard:
Darren, statement just doesn't quite match up.

very low pressure -> to 200 Bar

The pump would have to get the gas to the bottle pressure otherwise it would not transfer.

John

Darren:
That's right John,

I was thinking of a diving bottle pump/compressor but threw it out to the crowd in case there might be a better solution.

bogstandard:
Sorry Darren, but still don't understand.

Not about the pump, but the part about the low pressure. Is there a relevance of it being at very low pressure and infinite volume? Why is it at a very low pressure? Does the infinite volume mean it is stored in a massive storage tank, or is it extracted from the atmosphere, or maybe salt water.

Unless of course you mean you just want to pump a gas up to 200 bar. If that is what is required, then other questions come to mind.

Would the gas become volatile at higher pressures?, as in acetylene, which shouldn't be stored above 1 bar unless dissolved in acetone and the cylinder filled with Kapok or other cellular medium.

I know this is getting rather stupid, but if the original question was, 'I want to pump air up to 200 bar, what sort of pump should I use', then I wouldn't be ragging you about it  :bang:

Bogs the stickman  :poke:

BTW, if my final statement about pumping air is correct, then I have no idea, but your diving bottle pump sounds just fine. I just wanted to be a bit of a PITA tonight :lol:

Sorry about that.

Darren:
Hi John,

Sorry I was a little vague, that was deliberate on my part. Two reasons, the idea is prob not legal in the UK and it's fraught with dangers.

But what the heck, it's legal in the States and they do it at home.

The idea is to run a car on methane gas, mains gas in the UK. I converted my car 4yrs ago to run on LPG and it's been great. Should be quite simple to convert to methane, only prob is filling the tank to 200 bar. I understand it takes hrs to do this from the mains cos the supply pressure is low and you mustn't suck out your neighbors supply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version