Author Topic: "A good buy or what"  (Read 3633 times)

Offline lockstocknbarrel

"A good buy or what"
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:21:44 AM »
Walked into the local second-hand tool shop a couple of weeks ago and hanging up out of sight were these two clamps the owner said had been there for a while, they had Asian clamps sitting in front hiding these poor lonely babies.
12 inch Deep X 12 Wide.
Cost $37.50usd the owners name is stamped into the sides, it is  A C Thornton, I decided to look up the local telephone directory and there was only 1 name with those initials, and I wondered why someone would sell such professionally home-made clamps.................What was the background had they been stolen......
Mr Thornton was a very pleasant gentleman in his retirement years and had decided to sell his workshop over a year ago to the shop concerned.

I'm now a very happy chap with some serious clampability.................... :D
Regards Beagles
Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: "A good buy or what"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »
It's nice to own, and use tools with a story attached.   :D

When he found I was about to start at the local engineering works, a local retired gentleman, "Mister Squire", gave me the selection of calipers he'd made 50 years before, in the same apprentice school.

Those same calipers are now in my retirement workshop. And will be passed on........  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: "A good buy or what"
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
Those two are huge  :jaw:

I would have a hard time thinking of what to clamp let alone getting them near my little machines  :lol:

Bet I could eventually find a job for such tooling though... The more I think about it the more they become appealing  :thumbup:

Very nice looking, and as David said "It's nice to own, and use tools with a story attached.   :D"

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!