Author Topic: Small 10-20-40 blocks that actually work  (Read 17410 times)

tumutbound

Re: Small 10-20-40 blocks that actually work
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 05:49:22 AM »
Much that I'd like some of these to go with my new shed, $67 postage is a bit steep for me!

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 05:48:21 AM »
Just a little update:

Yesterday, a customer brought up the hardness issue of the blocks to my attention. I reffered this to the engineers at the production factory.

The blocks have been heat treated to HRC25-HRC28, which is at the low end of the hardening process. The engineers have taken this decision as it allows the end user to make any changes to the blocks as they so wish.

We made a mistake by referring to them as hardened, rather than toughened. This has now been rectified on our website, however, the advert which appears in MEW 184 still incorrectly states hardened.
For all customer who are ordering with effect from 23rd November 2011 over the phone, we are clarifying this point pre-sale. Our selling prices remain the same.

We apologise to all customers who have purchased this item prior to 23rd November with the understanding that they are hardened to normal “rock hard” treatment to be found with traditional 1-2-3 blocks.
In this respect, if anyone wishes to return their blocks due to this misunderstanding, we are happy to accept their return, and we will pay for return carriage costs to us.
If you wish to do this, please call us first to enable us to log and agree to the return, along with carriage costs.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused effected customers.

Ketan at ARC.
Ketan @ ARC

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
Ketan

Better being tough than hard, that way if you cut into them all you've got is a mark in the blocks not a blunt tool and posibly a scrap part.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline fatal-exception

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Thanks John for the original post. I've always thought that those 1-2-3 blocks were made wrong, well, at least not as useful as they could be. I've asked a few other machinists about the untapped holes and whether they should be clearance holes and none of them have ever seen them made that way. Being slightly undersized as you mentioned is also a very good idea.

Maybe someone should make a set and send them to China and India so that they start making them the correct way!

Paul