Author Topic: Radford Retractable Tool Holder  (Read 5875 times)

Offline lockstocknbarrel

Radford Retractable Tool Holder
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
One of my projects that was put aside to build the tram tool was this puppy a retractable tool holder designed by a Kiwi (New Zealander) for the younger ones to fit my Dixon Tool Holder.

See the link to a description of the tool the only change I have made is to build the tool 7075 aircraft aluminium.
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Retracting_Tool_Holder.html

I went to my Model Engineer collection and the complete build how to is in Vol 147 #3668 #3669 #3670 let me know if you want plans I my be able to scan and send.   

I also purchased the book Improvements & Accessories for your Lathe by J A Radford ISBN No 1 85761 105 5
First off I designed the whole tool in Solidworks CAD to orientate myself on the true design and the how to make it properly stage, here is where I am at up to this point.

Having now seen the new lift up screw cutting tool buy the gurus on this site i am now kicking myself,................................ no I'll just have to build one of them as well.

Kindest Regards
Beagles............
Dave Weir

Offline Ned Ludd

Re: Radford Retractable Tool Holder
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »
Certainly a flip/swing up tool holder is easier to build and use, if you have an instant reversing lathe, but take heart for early in the new year plans will be published in EIM for a self reversing lead screw attachment. This is a device that automatically reverses the lead screw between two set limits and with  a retracting tool holder will make screw cutting  very much easier.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:33:57 AM »
Err, GHT and MEWM?????

Offline Miner

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
To add one more to your list, George Thomas's book, The Model Engineers Workshop Manual ISBN 1-85761-000-8 has a design for a retracting tool holder.

Pete