Author Topic: My Grandad's Mersey Models Steam Plant  (Read 9326 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
My Grandad's Mersey Models Steam Plant
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
I've probably mentioned this before in previous posts.

When I was about 9 years old my Grandad gave me this Mersey Models Steam Engine to play with. I remember him soldering up the ends of the brass boiler with a soldering iron heated in the coal fire before hand!  :jaw: He knew what he was doing though, set the safety valve and gave me containers with marks on them to fill the boiler / spirit burner so that it wouldn't boil dry.

Anyway, I've been meaning to restore the model to pass on to my sons but as with everything, haven't got around to it. Then the other day my son had some homework to talk about a parents favorite toy from the past and their current favorite toy. I said, I can do better than that ... I'll show you it!

I was expecting to just get it out and fire it up to at least show him it working but no ... I must have previously damaged it and the safety valve bush had worked loose so I couldn't get it out.

I set about taking the end off the boiler, during which I also melted the solder around the bush for the steam outlet and whistle! I ended up re-soldering the other end off the boiler, cleaning up and soldering in the bushes back in with comsol (otherwise they kept re-melting and coming loose when I tried to solder the end) then the other end with normal soft solder.

During the process I decided to refrain from a complete restoration, only to leave it as it was as much as possible, clean / adjust the engine and make necessary repairs.

Here is the result - a pretty tired, well used looking engine but it works well! I was thinking rather than restore it, if I ever have the desire I could do a replica.  :proj:

Nick

ps, Son watched it for about 1 minute then went back to watch Harry Potter   :(

http://youtu.be/QyKfdsjFREI

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: My Grandad's Mersey Models Steam Plant
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
Nice engine, nice story Nick!  :clap: :clap:

It's a Model 52......      http://www.toysteambible.org/Mersey_Model_Co_Ltd/52.htm

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »
Thanks David, that's the one. I have the original instructions but haven't looked at them for a long time.

Unfortunately I pushed the end plate to ensure it was on properly prior to soldering and indented it - it must have been annealed some what from previous attempt!

He's got a model of a bloke grinding something that can be run from the pulley too, will have to put a pic up!

Incidentally, does anybody know how you embed youtube vids now rather than just link? The icon seems to have gone!

Nick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »

Incidentally, does anybody know how you embed youtube vids now rather than just link? The icon seems to have gone!

Nick

Nick.
Play your vid..... Click on, Share...... The drop down will give you the link, below the link is EMBED. Copy, paste.  :thumbup:

Works for me! I think.......

David D

David.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »
Hi
Nick
Nice engine great to see it running :thumbup: :thumbup:
I wonder how many modern toys will still be around after all those years
John

Offline lazylathe

• Mastering the art of reducing metal into swarf!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
Nice one Nick!!!
Looks like a fantastic toy steam engine!!!

Hopefully your son will grow to enjoy such things and take after his dad! :thumbup:

Andrew

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
David, I did try that first but it didn't seem to work! Will try again .. just had a look and changed check box to 'old embed code' to see if that works! .... nope, still can't do it!

Thanks John, it did bring happy memories back! I remember it squirting boiling oil and water everywhere, I must have been more careful the way I set it up - must be a little bit wiser now at least! You're right, most of the modern toys are a load of rubbish ... maybe with some exceptions like Playmobil ...they are still selling the same things I had when I was a kid and they've lasted. My parents dug my old pirate ship out of the loft for the boys, that's only lasted 25 years though and not been used in between!

Andrew, thanks, I hope he will. It started off well but now computers seem to have totally taken over his interests :scratch:  :doh:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »

Nick

Nick.
Yer right!  :thumbup:

Had areal good fumble with my Youtube...... Can't get a picture up, any more. Only the link.....  :bang: :bang:

Now what do we do?  :scratch:

David D
David.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
Hmm, don't know ... maybe it's something that Eric can fix simply ... have sent him a PM.  :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
Hmm, don't know ... maybe it's something that Eric can fix simply ... unless it's just a limitation of the new forum thingy! Will maybe ask in the committee section?

I already did, in Announcements & Issues......  :thumbup:
David.