Author Topic: How do i cut a concave in a square block?  (Read 5910 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
How do i cut a concave in a square block?
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a little problem, i have a small BF20L mill, this is a Morsekone2 mill, and not the most practical to run a big multitooth carbide cutter in.
Here is the thing i'm trying to build a Pipe bender.. For this i have made a rolling die, with a radius cutter not much unlike the small ball cutter you find on this forum.

Now the problem, i need to cut a straight concave surface in a piece of  square stock. This will make up the "shoe" in my pipe bender. I have been pondering this problem for a while
but cant really figure it out. Anyone here know how i can cut a concave straight channel in my mill?
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline jgroom

• Kansas USA
Re: How do i cut a concave in a square block?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:39:39 PM »
If you have enough clearance the easiest way would be to stand the block on end and mill the groove with a boring head or small flycutter.

Cheers

Jeff

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:10:52 AM »
You can use a boring head like this.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:28:50 AM »
Clamp two pieces together and drill down the split line. OK you will get two components but a spare never goes to waste.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:00:48 AM »
Thanks all of you!, it was using a boring head like that i was a bit.. well afraid of first, i have limited experience so i didnt know if it was a good way to go. =)

And clamping to pieces together is not a bad idea either, probably less stress on the tools that way. I have some experimenting to do.. Thanks! =)

You can use a boring head like this.

Stew
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »
There is also a third-ish way to do it, but it incorporates setting the milling machine head at an angle. This could be useful for large concave cuts. In this case the workpiece is clamped flat onto the table using suitable means, the mill head angled and using a suitable size tool passing over the surface.

The downside is that to get back to "normal" state, the mill head needs a careful tramming again to be properly vertical.

Just as an idea, of course.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
I made mine using the lathe:

I don't have pictures of the process but the set-up was similar to this: using a long boring bar with the block mounted to the vertical slide:
Bill

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:51:47 PM »
There is also a third-ish way to do it, but it incorporates setting the milling machine head at an angle. This could be useful for large concave cuts. In this case the workpiece is clamped flat onto the table using suitable means, the mill head angled and using a suitable size tool passing over the surface.

The downside is that to get back to "normal" state, the mill head needs a careful tramming again to be properly vertical.

Just as an idea, of course.

BR

/Peter

I have actually considered this approach but as you say you will have a tramming hell in front of you afterwards, and last time i trammed the machine it took med a good 2 hours to get it within a couple of thousands...

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »
I made mine using the lathe:

I don't have pictures of the process but the set-up was similar to this: using a long boring bar with the block mounted to the vertical slide:

Thats exactly the type of bender i'm trying to build. =)
That long boring bar setup i havent seen anyone do that before. did you make the boring bar? How is the toolbit setup in the bar? With an angle to the workpiece or a 90 degree?!

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
The boring bar is just a length of steel bar (1" 316 stainless I think). The cutting tool is ground from a broken  6mm (carbide) end mill. It's fitted in a cross drilled hole (90° but it probably could be anything) and held in place by a couple of grub screws.

The cutting radius was set my measuring how much stuck out of the bar. (getting the bearing fit required in the illustrated set-up was tricky ;))

That long boring bar setup i havent seen anyone do that before.

No originality here, that's a very old, standard lathe set-up :)
Bill

Offline wildman692

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »
The easiest way is to use a bullnosed end mill of the correct size. Nice bender by the way.