Author Topic: Collet question  (Read 9234 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Collet question
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
Currently I don't use collets on my tiny mill. I see there is er25 and er32 collet sets available... which is better to use and why? My mill is a CNC'd X2.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Collet question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:19:11 PM »
I have a ER32 collet system for both my lathe (C2) and mill (X2). I would say that between the ER32 and ER25 I would go for the ER32 as you will have more capacity (up to 20mm on ER32), and the collets can be used on the mill too if you have a collet chuck for it (which goes for any collet system, but having one that fits both machines is economically wise, and the greater capacity is handy)

The only downside to the ER collet systems is the headroom you loose, on mine the collet sticks out of the spindle by about 2", not much until you add a vice or a rotab with a 3jaw chuck mounted. Compare that to the native MT3 (on mine) or R8 collets, they only stick out by less than 1/8". But then the R8/MT3 collets have not great clamping range, especially compared to the 1mm clamping range of the ER32 collets.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
I was thinking about the collet chuck in this AUCTION with these COLLETS. I would eventually get a metric set and a chuck for the lathe.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Miner

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »
Yeah the collet chucks take up more room, But there's no beating on the end of the drawbar to get the collet to release either unless you change out the collet chuck. The longevity and accuracy of your spindle bearings will be extended by far. There's not a bearing manufacter in the world that would like to see ANY hammering force transmitted to the bearings. The MT type collets are a more rigid system though. After using both MT 3 and R-8 tapers I'll take the R-8 every time.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:28:00 AM by Miner »

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:29:27 AM »
I was thinking about the collet chuck in this AUCTION with these COLLETS. I would eventually get a metric set and a chuck for the lathe.

Eric

Looks good to me, I wouldn't be without mine now, and like Pete said, there's no more hammering on the drawbar to release the collet.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:35:26 AM »
Eric, the two comments I would make are:

First, you won't really need an additional metric set. Each collet in the set will grip anything from its nominal size down to the next size in the range. For example, if you come across a cutter with a 6mm (0.2362") shank, the 1/4" collet will grip it. What it won't do is hold it lightly in place (as it would with a 6mm shank) on a vertical mill while you tighten up the chuck, which can be a slight inconvenience. I'm in the converse situation here in the UK, with some inherited imperial cutters, so use a 7mm (0.2756") collet to hold 1/4" shanks.

Secondly, the Glacern collet chuck doesn't seem to have any flats or tommy bar holes in its body, so you can hold it still while tightening up the nose nut. That will be OK as long as you have a spindle lock (I don't, on my mill).

Thirdly, it doesn't seem to come with the C spanner (sorry, wrench) needed to tighten up the nose nut.
There you are, three comments for the price of two!  :)

Andy.
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Davo J

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:37 AM »
They are a good system and I would recommend them.
Have you seen the CTC one's
$19 for a collet chuck
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-57/ER32-R8-COLLET-CHUCK/Detail
$57 for a collet set
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-18/FULL-ER32-COLLET-SET/Detail
And $7.50 for the spanner
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-66/ER25-SAFETY-SPANNER-%23A46/Detail

All up with postage works out to be around $140, under half the price.
A lot of guys over here are buying them and happy with them.

Dave

Offline matnewsholme

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:14:58 AM »
They are a good system and I would recommend them.
Have you seen the CTC one's
$19 for a collet chuck
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-57/ER32-R8-COLLET-CHUCK/Detail
$57 for a collet set
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-18/FULL-ER32-COLLET-SET/Detail
And $7.50 for the spanner
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-66/ER25-SAFETY-SPANNER-%23A46/Detail

All up with postage works out to be around $140, under half the price.
A lot of guys over here are buying them and happy with them.

Dave

got an er32 setup from ctc a couple of months back. very pleased with quality. you dont need to buy the spanner separately, they include one with the chuck. If you look in details tabs it tells you.

Mat

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »
Beware cheap far eastern collet chucks. Mine has a TIR of .003" which is no better than my 3 jaw chuck. It is on my roundtuit list to grind some concentricity  into the wretched thing but first I have to make a suitable quill for my too lpost grinder.  :palm:
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Miner

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 01:55:16 PM »
Actuly Brass_Machine was looking at a Glacern chuck and collets. I have no first hand experience with them, But I have bought 2 of their mill vices and 3 of their integral shank keyless chucks. I've been VERY satisfied with everthing I've bought from Glacern and I'd consider myself a bit of a tool snob when it comes to accurate and well built tools.

Pete

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
Eric, keeping a lot of the previous comments in mind, my 1/8th cent worth (that's two Namibian cents)

If most of your existing tooling has imperial shanks, get an imperial collet set.  Though they can shrink down between the different sizes, the collets do deform.  My 4mm ER25 collet has actually shrunk down from gripping 1/8" rod (that's on the lathe, but same for the mill and cutter shanks) to the point where I have to force 4mm rod into it.  In fact, I'm seriously considering getting a set (or at least a couple of regularly needed sizes) imperial collets to complement my metric set.

As to the series you choose, I'd say go for the smallest ER series that will accommodate the biggest cutter you're likely to use regularly in your mill.  As the ER sizes increase, they become longer as well, so you'd lose Z space to the chuck.  In fact, I'd recommend you get ER25 for the X2 rather than ER32.

Oh, and while you're about it, get a bearing-based closer nut; that really makes life a breeze.

:beer:, Arnold

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
Actuly Brass_Machine was looking at a Glacern chuck and collets. I have no first hand experience with them, But I have bought 2 of their mill vices and 3 of their integral shank keyless chucks. I've been VERY satisfied with everthing I've bought from Glacern and I'd consider myself a bit of a tool snob when it comes to accurate and well built tools.

Pete

I don't own anything from them yet, but have gotten a chance to look at their tools... I am impressed. I hope to be buying them shortly.
Science is fun.

Offline Miner

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:17:34 PM »
Brass,
Anytime I've had any questions about their products I got a really quick response from Sol their Engineer. He's the guy in their videos. The first time I emailed them was about 10 pm on a sunday night. I figured I'd get a response by monday morning at the earliest. By 11 pm I had all my questions answered. I own an Albrecht keyless drill chuck and Glacerns keyless compare very favourably with the Albrecht for fit,finish and smoothness of operation. Runout was a touch less than .oo1. Not too shabby for something that's about 1/3rd the cost of an Albrecht.

I ordered two of their GPV-615 vices. Glacern matched them for bed highth dead on for no extra charge. Because I ordered two vices and they were being shipped to Canaduh, Sol checked around to get me the cheapest shipping deal he could. It's not often that I find a company that works as well as Glacern does, And has decent products at a fair price. If you buy that collet chuck and collets I'd be real interested in your thoughts about them. I bought a full 23 pc. set of Bison ER-40 collets and chuck. $900 here in canada, That should give you an idea of comparison priceing.

Pete

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
I have just fitted an ER25 set set to my WM14 mill similar size to a X2, I only use very small cutters so it just what I need the main reason for using and not sticking to the MT2 collets that I have was that the WH 14 has a big overhang at the front , the pictures where taken below normal sight line and as you can see there is no way of seeing the cutter with the collets fitted it is much better but I am also now able to raise my mill as I have sorted the top handle out that will help a lot as well.
Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure