Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Er 32 or ER25

<< < (2/3) > >>

Baldrocker:
PS
Headstock.
I have to admit the idea of fitting to the tailstock
just didnt occur to me. At this stage the ts is just something stuck
on the other end most of the time.
Just goes to show my newbie-ness
BR

bogstandard:
BR,

I fully understand your problems with the cashflow, I had to do everything over a long period of time when I first started machining at home, and it took many years to obtain the machines and tooling I wanted. So you must go with your heart and wallet with that decision, and don't be forced into making the decision, you are the only one who knows what you can afford to buy without stretching yourself. We are here to show you what is available.

The tailstock bit was only a suggestion, but as you expand your machining facilities, you would just buy the holder to fit your new machinery, and use your already purchased collets. That might be a long way down the line yet, but a little planning now can save a lot of pennies in the long run. There are lots of new ways being thought up how to use these collets, and they mostly seem to be based around the 32 size, which looks like it is going to become the accepted standard size for general machining.

There is no difference in the grip, as the pressure is applied by the nut, and that is a standard throughout the range of holders. The only difference is the type of nut, I use a ballraced one, and that imparts a lot more pressure because it overcomes the friction between the nut and collet.

John

Baldrocker:
John
Much food for thought, I'll keep you posted.
BR

kellswaterri:

There is no difference in the grip, as the pressure is applied by the nut, and that is a standard throughout the range of holders. The only difference is the type of nut, I use a ballraced one, and that imparts a lot more pressure because it overcomes the friction between the nut and collet.

John
[/quote]

Hi Bogs, can I ask you where is the above ''ballraced'' nut obtainable as I have not seen one? I currently use one set of ER25 colletts with two sets of nuts and holders , one for mill and one for lathe...a very useful piece of kit indeed.
All the best for now,
                           John.

Darren:
Yep, John advised me to get an ER set,

Very good advice indeed, really nice to use and so versatile across machines to boot.

The ball race nuts are avail on Ebay, I was just looking myself 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER32-collet-chuck-Ball-Bearing-Clamping-Nut-Quality-NEW_W0QQitemZ220338335932QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item220338335932&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version