The Shop > Composites & Plastics

where to get cheap delrin/acetel rod slices

(1/2) > >>

Gazz292:
i need some black delrin/acetel rod for the project i bought my lathe for (replica german electric train controllers)

i need some 120mm diamiter rod, and judging by the price of the 100mm stuff on ebay, it's out of my price range,

the part i need them for would be a simple disc, 120mm diamiter by 25mm wide, and i need 6 or 7 of them in total,

anyone know where i can get off cuts of this stuff in/near the size i need? or know of something else i could use, thinking ice hockey pucks, but dont even know their size, let alone what they are made of,

Swarfing:
Gazz

At that size you would be better off buying it in sheet form, it will work out much cheaper.

Bluechip:
Bearing in mind there ain't no such thing as cheap ... rod or sheet.

Black HDPE or PVC sheet is less than Delrin/Acetal ..

EG:

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/HDPESheet/Black/25mm/

But if it needs to be acetal ...

No Idea.

BC

Pete.:
I bought my acetal from directplasticsonline. I got 100mm of 150diameter rod for £40 delivered, but when it arrived it had a note saying their bandsaw was out of action and they hope I don't mind but they sent me a 200mm long off-cut because they didn't want to delay my order.

Nope - I didn't mind :D

Looking at their site, their Delrin is limited to 100mm diameter but they'll do you 250mm of 125mm dia black acetal for £62 plus delivery. HDPE is half the cost.

--- Quote from: Swarfing on October 02, 2011, 04:24:20 AM ---Gazz

At that size you would be better off buying it in sheet form, it will work out much cheaper.

--- End quote ---

Can't even get close with sheet vs the cost of rod on that site. You could part 7 pieces 25mm thick from 250mm of rod but to do it in sheet you'd need to spend at least 50% more on material then find a way of cutting 120mm discs from it.

andyf:
Davis Industrial Plastics show 120mm diameter x 250 mm of black acetal rod (generic Delrin) at £45.72 - second iten down in the right-hand column here: http://www.shopforplastic.co.uk/acetal-rod-110---200mm-13-c.asp . Their delivery charges start at £1.95, with a maximum of £17 for big stuff.

I bought some Tufnol from them once, and found them good to deal with.

Andy

Edit: just noticed that their prices don't include VAT, so £45.72 becomes £54.87.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version