Author Topic: KBIC controller probs  (Read 25536 times)

Offline John Swift

Re: KBIC controller probs
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
Hi Gazz

you may well  find the resistor is used to drop the rectified mains approx 240V DC to 12V for the control circuit

I just need a copy of the KBIC240 board to be 100% certain

if  you wanted the motor breaking but not the forced start at minimum speed
you could use a 2 or 4 pole relay with a 240V ac coil    eg maplin  N08AW or N11AW

connect the mains from the on/off switch to the coil

use one  normally closed pole to  connect the breaking resistor across the motor
 and when energised switch the controlled DC to the motor

use another normally open pole to connect the mains to the speed control board

John

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »
Hi Gazz

you may well  find the resistor is used to drop the rectified mains approx 240V DC to 12V for the control circuit

I just need a copy of the KBIC240 board to be 100% certain
John

I too have a copy of the KBIC schematics and other associated documents and can confirm that is the case with the resistor in question...R17a.
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Gazz292

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:31 PM »
hmmm, wastfull way to get 12 volts i'd have thought, but at least it's not wasting as much power as it did with the secondary board in the circuit,

i'm thinking of another way to do the brake circuit based on your diagram, instead of the relay switching power to the board, it can open the inhibit switch (terminals I1 and I2) which shuts the board down when closed, so power will be removed from the board when the main switch is turned off, and the relay will drop out and activate the inhibit circuitry... just incase the board has enough residual power for a few milliseconds to do dammage when the motor is switched out.

if i run the power to the relays coil thru the 'spare' terminals on the direction change switch, they are closed when in either direction, open when in the centre position, so if i were to knock the switch to the middle position, the relay will drop out, braking the motor and shutting the board down at the same time,

the kbic manual says that after inhibit is released it re-starts the motor smoothly (on page 20, where it shows a way to do dynamic braking using a switch),