The Shop > Tools

Headstock Handwheel.

(1/4) > >>

Stilldrillin:
EVERY time I tapped a thread in the lathe, I remembered I intended to fit a handwheel, rather than rotating the chuck by hand....

But, cold metal handwheels in this recent weather do not go well with arthritic fingers.  ::)

I found a nice plastic & rubber, buggy / pushchair wheel in a local DIY.

Couldn`t machine the 1" steel expander plug, because the coolant was frozen!
I used delrin plastic instead.

At temps of -2 to + 3 it was too cold to work for more than 20mins or so at a time.
This was the outcome after 3 days, and 7 sessions.....

6mm roofing bolt with shallow head. Nothing should catch & get wound in, if I forget it`s in place & start up....

Action photo....

I realised afterwards, nothing is metal to metal solid drive. The delrin grips adequately, but will  slip under excess torque.

I`m a bit pleased.....  :D

bogstandard:
David,

If I can make a suggestion. Go to Wilko's and get one of their oil filled 7 fin radiators. Last time I looked £23.

Pop it in the shop near to where you work most (mine is by the lathe), set the thermostat just below mid way. Freezing cold morning outside, about 9 deg C just inside the door. Warm as toast by the machines. Costs only pennies an hour to run. I will leave it on all the time until the cold weather passes.

Nice machine mod by the way, but a bit lost on me, I do everything under power down to about 2mm. I would need hell of a handle, and very long arms to turn mine over and reach the tap wrench as well. But an ideal solution for the smaller lathe.

Bogs

Bernd:
Very ingenious there David.

Were ever that pic was taken it must be warm or are those plants in the background fake?  :D I just had to ask. You can ignore me if you want but I won't go away.  :lol:

Bernd

Stilldrillin:

Well, I hope you guys like pics.......

Bogs,
The workshop is at one end of a 2 car concrete & asbestos garage. I will tidy up, one day, maybe.....

I`ve found, over the years, it`s almost impossible to heat

Bernt,
How could I ignore you?

All 3 pics were taken around 11am today, at a balmy temp of 3dgrs..
The component pic was taken in the extra light of my winter storage facility / steamshed, (known as the greenhouse during the summer)....
The evergreen shrub is behind the trellis fence.....

These 2 pics were taken 2 days ago at the same time of day.....

Here`s a vid of me muttering, taken last winter, when in steamshed mode...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rrVdvJa_A3g

I guess that`s enough for now......

Darren:
David, where's your chair/stool?

Can't live without somewhere to park me bum !!!

Thanks for sharing the pic's btw... :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version