Author Topic: steam vehicle  (Read 17646 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
steam vehicle
« on: September 24, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I've begun building a steam powered vehicle that will be modelled somewhat after this one:

The overall width to the center of the tread will be around 10".  Length of the vehicle probably around 18", maybe more.

I figured a good start would be a complete RC Front Axle assembly so I found this on Ebay (darn, these parts are not cheap!). 

This will add a bit of realism and will simplify the drive mechanism which leaves plenty of other hard parts to design and make!  Hope I have enough years left to complete this thing!

Chuck

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: steam vehicle
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »
Chuck

OK, I've got the popcorn popping and I'm all ready to start watching. Looks like it will be an exciting build.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
This will be very fun to folow  :D

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:06:46 AM »
certainly different Chuck  :bugeye:

At the rate you build engines i am sure you will have this project licked in no time  :med:

Rob 

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
Well, Chuck, that looks like a very interesting project you've got started, in fact, it almost looks like the 'vehicle' you're modelling had a purpose at one time maybe.  A small hint, don't keep track of the costs, you'll only be aghast at the end, its easier to just pretend everything comes out of the scrap box, less stress.  It looks like you've got the basis for the power plant already as well, this should be an unusual project, and they are always the best. :bugeye:  Does anyone know how to do steam remote control? :lol:  Lots of tiny tubes maybe, long ones? :nrocks:  This should be fun, got a front row seat,  :beer:  Cheers, mad jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
Great idea Chuck. Looks like a "steam punk" project to me.

I've got a hankering to build something like that from scratch right along with my four truck shay and all.  :palm:

I see that it's got a 3 cylinder wobbeler engine, maybe? Remote control on that should be easy with all the small radio stuff they have today. Tower Hobby would be your best bet for that stuff.

Good luck on your project. Like Dsquire said "OK, I've got the popcorn popping and I'm all ready to start watching."

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 02:15:38 PM »
I bought some tires (with wheels) on Ebay that I like.  I'm sure no one will be surprised that the Wheels will not work with the Axial Axle & Differential that I bought.  RC vehicles seem to have several different standards.  Anyway, the wheels that came with the tires were cheap, thin plastic, not at all suitable for a manly steampowered trike, so I'm making new rims from aluminum.  The rims will be made from 2.5" diameter, 1/4" wall aluminum tubing.  Each rim will be 2" long and fitted with a 1/4" thick disk for the center.  I haven't decided whether to leave the center disk solid or make some holes... we'll see.

Here is a picture of the tires, the plastic wheels, and the soon to be new aluminum rims.  The soda can is there for size reference.  The tires are almost 5" diameter and 2.25" wide.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
I've finally reached a point where I can start putting some things together to work out a prototype for this thing.  I've finished the front wheels, for now.  I have a couple of somewhat smaller tires and wheels that I'm going to try in tandem for the rear end.  If I don't like those, I'll have to find another tire like those on the front.

Here's some pictures:

And the assembly from the front.  My current preference is to mount the engine in front of the front axel.  I think it would look cool and leave more room behind the axle for other necessary stuff.

Chuck

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »
Wow I like those wheels. What kind of steam engine are you thinking of? Maybe a turbine. Less moving part and higher speed. :nrocks:

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »
Wow I like those wheels. What kind of steam engine are you thinking of? Maybe a turbine. Less moving part and higher speed. :nrocks:

I'll be using this steam engine. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E2MZfIQNBk

It has a bore of 7/16" and a stroke of 7/8".  It will be geared down quite a bit.  I'm more interested in power and than speed, so the vehicle will move very slowly.

Chuck

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
That's a good options, runs very nicley  :D :clap:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »
Chuck.
This is going to be a real meaty beast!  :bugeye:

Love it! Watching quietly.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 04:07:39 PM »
ChucK,

Nice engine very nice :thumbup: :clap:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 08:32:48 AM »
Hi Chuck, with that engine, it looks like that's going to be a real power drive vehicle :bugeye:  I note that it seems to run a whole lot faster when it's running slow than when it's running all out, kind of amazing what video will do with an engine like that.  It seems to reverse very solidly with decisive action, so it should do very well as a vehicle powerplant.  Can't wait to see her run on steam, I can't help it, but they just don't sound right without the throatiness of the steam.  This should be a very interesting project vehicle I hope your electronics skill is up to the level of your steam engine, that one runs a treat. :jaw: :beer:  Cheers, mad jack

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  I don't think the electronics will be much of a problem.  I will just buy a commercial transmitter and receiver and a couple of servos, one fo steering and one for forward, reverse and stop.  The wiring should be pretty straight forward.  Before I start on the boiler I want to have a pretty good idea of the layout of all the parts.

Chuck

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »
Hi Chuck,  I went and looked at this thread again, watched the engine run, and I have to say, it sounds like an old steam train pulling into the station, when you crank the rpms down so it's just more than ticking over, sounds very strong.  I hope to see some progress on this thing, that engine is kind of poking me in the kidney area with that tone. :bugeye: :hammer:  Cheers, mad jack

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
I believe I've acquired most of the raw materials needed for the horizontal boiler that will power my Moteur Oscillant steam engine.  It will be 3.125" diameter by (probably) 7" long.  I have 1 3/8" OD copper pipe for the flue, 3/8 OD x 1/4" ID copper pipe for the cross tubes, 1/8" copper rod for the stays, and 7/8" OD bronze rod for the fittings.  Not shown, I also have some ez flow silver solder.  Should be enough to get started.

Chuck

Offline BK

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »
I'll be watching this with interest, it's my kinda build, no plans. :D
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
Looking forward to your boiler build :thumbup: :thumbup:
Plenty of pictures please  :thumbup:
John

Offline -steves-

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 04:28:44 AM »
I would be very interested on how you done those holes in the wheels? Are they 2 parts each and then joined, if so, how are they joined? If they are single part, how on earth did you get holes like that?  :bugeye:

I am wathcing this thread with great interest  :thumbup:
very new to all this....

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »
I would be very interested on how you done those holes in the wheels? Are they 2 parts each and then joined, if so, how are they joined? If they are single part, how on earth did you get holes like that?  :bugeye:

The wheels are done in two parts.  The center disk is just pressed in.  I cut the half-holes around the outside with an end mill.  I was going to use small screws from the rim into the center disk, but the fit is tight enough I don't think I'll need it.

Offline -steves-

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »

The wheels are done in two parts.  The center disk is just pressed in.  I cut the half-holes around the outside with an end mill.  I was going to use small screws from the rim into the center disk, but the fit is tight enough I don't think I'll need it.

Excellent stuff, very impressive :)
very new to all this....

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 04:17:51 AM »
Chuck.

NOW, I see where you are coming from........    :thumbup:

What a beast:bugeye:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »
Nice find David. I watched the second video he made, what a hoot.  :ddb:

Ok Chuck, from what I've seen you've got your work cut out for ya'.  :)

Bernd

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »
Ya, I had asked this guy if he was planning on posting any more videos of his steam trike.  He came through with another video yesterday.  Love that machine!  I'm hoping my boiler and steam engine will be big enough for it.

Chuck

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
His three cylinder wobbler seems to have a need to build up a bit of steam before it goes when it encounters a small knoll to roll over. I wonder if a valved engine such as a triple, wouldn't need to be an expansion though, would work better?

Boy I'm tempted to start one of those right now, but I've got many irons in the fire now.  :(  Maybe next winter season.  :coffee:

Waiting with great anticipation for the next installment.  :ddb:

Bernd

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »
I'm going to gear mine down more than the one in the video.  I've had a few email exchanges with prallplatt​e and he thinks the overal gear ratio on his is aboug 12 to 1.  I'm thinking closer to 20 to 1, maybe higher.

Also, I noted that his boiler had two burners.  I'm only planning for 1. 

Chuck

Offline -steves-

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 02:43:17 AM »
After watching the video, you just have to be impressed with what he has done with it.......however....it needs a bigger engine or at least a more powerful engine than whats in it, and even as it is it is very slow no matter what gearing. A case a matching a powerful engine to the frame. Dont get me wrong, i wouldn't know where to start on the steam side, but the RC side, its way underpowered, a small stone could stop it, let alone an incline, such a shame IMHO :(

As i said, still very impressive, now he just needs to buy some other paint than pink   :bugeye:

Looking forward to seeing this one grow  :)
very new to all this....

Offline Ronkh

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Any progress on this steam vehicle?

Kind regards,

Ron. (UK)
Just me!