Author Topic: Making a collet to hold a washer  (Read 5318 times)

Offline black85vette

Making a collet to hold a washer
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Being the cheap type that I am and enjoying problem solving and making stuff, I decided to make a collet to hold a washer for facing.   I have seen collet blanks that you could cut to hold a washer.  But that involves removing the chuck and mounted the draw bar and then replacing the chuck.  (Did I mention I am also lazy?)   So I thought I might make something similar but not tapered like a collet and that the 3 jaws of the chuck could close.   So I cut the diameter of the piece down except for .25" at the closing end and used a boring bit to cut the recess for the washer.   I slit it with a saw on the mill in 3 places.  Then I cut a plate to fit over the jaws so that the holder could be held square at the rear.   Using a center in the tail stock I push the washer in and tighten the chuck.  That's about all there is to it.  Quick to mount and remove.  Cost was zero.  Worked fine.  Not up to industrial production quality but fine for a hobby set up.

Flickr link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17576549@N05/sets/72157627580597986/

Offline Marauder

Re: Making a collet to hold a washer
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 04:55:10 AM »
Good idea,Think i will make one,Like you somtimes i think i cant be bothered to remove a chuck lol. :med:

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
if you are only making a washer or two, you can just face off the original material bar in the chuck, stick a bit of double sided tape onto that face then place your washer on that. Provided you are only  facing the rear of the washer with gentle cuts the adhesive is stable enough. Quick, cheap and a bit less work.

Pete

Offline black85vette

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
if you are only making a washer or two, you can just face off the original material bar in the chuck, stick a bit of double sided tape onto that face then place your washer on that. Provided you are only  facing the rear of the washer with gentle cuts the adhesive is stable enough. Quick, cheap and a bit less work.

Pete

Sometimes I do make really thin brass shims.  That would work nicely for them.  I have used double sided tape with the piece held tight by the live center to work the outside diameter, but not the face as you suggest.  Tnx.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:39 PM »
Hi  :wave:
I also made a collet arrangement to hold small thin pieces for facing off etc but I have made a draw bolt attachment that pulls up onto a taper insert that then fits into my 3 jaw chuck.
I have always fitted it to line up with the # 1 jaw so as to maintain concentricity, I have made two, one for large diameters & t'other for smaller. The actual internal diameters I made to standard diameters e.g. 12mm,16mm, 25mm,but these can be machined to suit whatever size you require.
Hope the photos show up ok. :dremel:

Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'