Author Topic: Broad band help Please (Virgin/Blueyonder)  (Read 6361 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Broad band help Please (Virgin/Blueyonder)
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:26:28 PM »
Right I have30 mb broad band and have just pait to up date to 50 mb they say they have to come out and install it ? what I need to know has anybody had this up date off blueyonder. I have asked if I can have gust a Modem and not a modem router, as already have a decent much better router from netgear than the cheap net gear one they supply that has a very limited range I have tried twice to talk to Mumbi teck services and I should I say very nearley lost it the last time and might have been arested if I had said what I wanted, I dont like being told what a lucky boy I was several times.

so can some one tell me what they do when they come out ? do they re cable ? can you get just a modem ? etc why do they have to come out ?

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

lordedmond

Re: Broad band help Please (Virgin/Blueyonder)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:05 AM »
try on the virgin forums full of useless information but if you apply a the filter between you tabs you will be fine  :D

when they come out they check the cable power and replace your gear 50mb they my give you a super dud ( sorry Hub ) but do not fear ( I am a beta tester for virgin Media ) R30 firmware is very nearly done and will allow you to switch the SH to Modem Mode and then you can use the router of your choice

The wireless 5Ghz range is useless on the SH about 5 yards

Stuart

No I do not work for Virgin Or Apple I also beta test for them as well

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
Gotta ask - what does 50mbps do for you that 30mbps doesn't do well enough?

lordedmond

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
100 Mbs is evan better  :)

is just speed as I have to DL large files from Apple 4 gig it makes sense for me

30 Mbs to 50 Mbs is just quicker, to qualify not all sites can feed you with even 30 mbs let alone 50 or 100 but when they do its nice to have

Stuart 

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
Gotta ask - what does 50mbps do for you that 30mbps doesn't do well enough?

it costs £6 a month more and should enable me to view vidio streamed without any problems when my wife is streaming Audio .they offer me it I think because they have just reduced the cost of my broad band by you guess £6 a month its the second time they have done it I started out paying £38 a month for 20 mb I will be paying £36 for 50 mb

what speed do you have ?

peter

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
I pay £24 for 40meg download speed.

Will be very very interesting if you get any where near the 50meg!

Sure you need a modem? Same as my FTTC routers known as cable routers with ethernet input rather than the RJ45 phone line input. Even BT dont know that.
If you do just switch off the router on supplied.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »
I pay £24 for 40meg download speed.

Will be very very interesting if you get any where near the 50meg!

Sure you need a modem? Same as my FTTC routers known as cable routers with ethernet input rather than the RJ45 phone line input. Even BT dont know that.
If you do just switch off the router on supplied.

who are you with ? as virgin who I am asking about dont do 40mbs I am on 30 mbs and get near that 90% of the time , and YES I KNOW I NEED A MODEM, I was asking a question to try and find out weather they will be digging up my lawn again or putting more Co ax around my walls looking like sad curtains

Peter

Offline Jonny

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
If you read the header I was asking a question about Virgin / Blueyonder instulation so what has your instulation /speed got to do with it ?

Peter

lordedmond

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 02:33:03 AM »
thought I had answered the question

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:48:08 AM »
Right they have just finnished , so india was wrong they dont have to dig the lawn up or re wire the instulathion including replace the co ax as I was told, all they do is change the modem/router and re regester a new Mac address. so they try to charge £45 for the call  out the good news is if i decide to go 100MB there is no changes req

Peter

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 04:51:33 AM »
thought I had answered the question

Thank you for your help the remarke was not aimed at you .
when do you think the new softwear up date will be avalable and will it be an up load or anothere change of modem

thanks

Peter

lordedmond

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »
Peter

R30  should be out in the next two weeks

beta testing is going along fine

the main change is to provide a Modem Mode ( if you need to use a better router /wireless do da ) as the super hub is very poor ( no amount of software will fix it )
the other change is to stop reboots
it will be a upload to your current hub , bet you will not notice them do it  :D

this is the change log for the last test for the beta forum

"

Our R30 firmware includes the following changes:

Adds the Modem Mode feature.
Incorporates fixes for lock-ups (where the Super Hub appears unresponsive to traffic and the admin pages are unavailable) and reloads (where the Super Hub would reload for no apparent reason) while under heavy load in 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless modes. These symptoms were caused by a memory leak in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless driver. As part of these fixes we've changed the number of channels available under 5GHz to 4.

Note: 5GHz performance can vary as although it handles interference from other wireless routers better than 2.4GHz it's ability to penetrate walls, doors etc is less. We also recommend you site your Super Hub away from central heating radiators, foil backed wall board and plasma screen TVs if you're using 5GHz as wireless reflections can also cause issues.
"

Stuart

BTW

I get 96 mbs wired and 94 mbs wireless ( with a apple Time capsule )  the same speed with the hub alone but the range is as I said before very very poor hence the apple router