Author Topic: compact 8 deviding head  (Read 10261 times)

Offline krv3000

compact 8 deviding head
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
HI all right I original got he idea for this project from a article in model engineer  so I have adapted it to fit my lath I already had the worm drive and shaft as this came from a a scrap motor.
I turned dawn the end of the shaft to move the worm drive up on the shaft  then i made up the two Bering's for the front and the back of the mounting tube the tube is 1mm thick front Bering over all length is 13mm  turned dawn to fit in side the tube  left a shoulder 5mm from the end for the tube to but up against drilled 8.8mm then reamed 9 mm to fit the shaft  back Bering 13mm long  by 26mm OD  turned dawn to fit the tube left 5mm at the back turned the OD dawn to 25mm drilled 8.8mm then reamed 9mm to fit the shaft I hope the picks will help   right the dividing plat cut a Peace of stainless steel 80mm OD by hand 10mm thick face off both sides and mack the plate 4mm thick that's as far as i have got right pics

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: compact 8 deviding head
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 01:22:15 AM »
The pictures look great! You do some mighty fine work my friend...

:nrocks:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
Things are looking good, and you're moving right along, are you going to "digitize" it, or leave it manual? :bugeye: :beer:  Fine job there, cheers, mad jack

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »
HI all did a bit more the 80mm OD of the stainless steel was turned dawn to a OD of 75mm drilled the center 9.5mm then bored the center out to 3mm deep by 25mm diameter for the back Bering to fit in to  then mashend the back of the disk to form a pocket see pic  then marked out and drilled for 4 m3 fixing screws  if you look you Will notes that i of set one of them this was dun to form a key so that if I have to remove the plate it will only go on one way right pics no its not gowing to be digetel good old manuwel is fine for me

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »
HI all well I'm nearing the end I made up the mounting plate today this was a plate 2mm thick by 40mm wide by 140mm long divided the with then drilled two 6.2mm mounting holes 30mm and then 70mm from the bottom cut the angel  for the tube to fit on to the angel was dun by dropping one side of the bracket by 10mm  so on side was 130mm and the other was 140mm then i put a Shaffer on it gave it a good clean and silver solder the tube in place right pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
right i put the lot together for a test run and all seamed well pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »
so far so good don't have pics of drilling the dividing plate as the camera needed charging right i sharpend a cutting tool with a nice tip on it checked that it was cutting on center then i mounted the dividing plate then 8mm from the edge i scribed a line all the way round yousing the cutting tool then i Cross the line with the cutting tool this will be the starting point for the holes in the dividing plate marched out the places with calipers then drilled 2.8 then reamed m3  i then made up the locking pin out of 6mm diameter rod turned dawn the frunt 3mm by 4mm then 6mm back from that turned dawn to 4mm by 28 long i then made up the hawsing for the locking pin the one in the pics ended up in the bin i made a new one out of brass  this wood be 13mm do with m10 tap by 12mm deep then drilled on center 3.8mm by 28mm deep then drilled 5.8mm by 20mm deep then with a 6mm slot drill drilled out to 6mm by 23mm deep then the 3.8 reamed out to 4mm  i then made up a spasing Bush out of black nylon  15mm OD with a 9.2mm howl by 7mm thick then mad up the bracket that wood hold the locking pin 2mm thick by 16mm wide by 60mm long  on the center line 13mm from the bottom drilled and tap for m8 then 28.5 from that on the center line drilled and taped m10 right pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »
HI all right its all dun the last things to do was mack up a collar to fit over the tube then drilled and tap m3 this will-be the locking collar for the back Bering made up the knob for the locking pin this was made out of a old bush witch had the same internal diameter as the looking pin Holder I made a cap to fit the Busch with a m4 hole in it for the looking pin then soft soldered it on to the Busch  gave it a pant job and its dun next bit will be a indexing ring for the chucks you will see in the pics that i made sumthing up just to see haw it works don't no a bawt  other cuntres but in the UK their is a Swedish furnicher store if you go in you will find that they have paper tape meshers for you to mesher things up with all i did was tape one of the to my chuck for indexind and one full turn = 10mm  any way I hope you all enjoyed the billed right pics

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »
Thanks for showing this Bob - great neat work and nicely illustrated

cheers / Dave

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
thanks dave

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:33 PM »
Thanks Bob,

I'm thinking about doing the same thing a you. Just one thing I don't quite understand, why are you dividing your 40 tooth gear by 16? 9 would give you degrees, 18 would give you half degrees and so on.

Thanks again, Matthew

HI all right its all dun the last things to do was mack up a collar to fit over the tube then drilled and tap m3 this will-be the locking collar for the back Bering made up the knob for the locking pin this was made out of a old bush witch had the same internal diameter as the looking pin Holder I made a cap to fit the Busch with a m4 hole in it for the looking pin then soft soldered it on to the Busch  gave it a pant job and its dun next bit will be a indexing ring for the chucks you will see in the pics that i made sumthing up just to see haw it works don't no a bawt  other cuntres but in the UK their is a Swedish furnicher store if you go in you will find that they have paper tape meshers for you to mesher things up with all i did was tape one of the to my chuck for indexind and one full turn = 10mm  any way I hope you all enjoyed the billed right pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 04:18:33 AM »
HI well i cud of just drilld 4 holes in the plate or even 8 but seeing that ther was nothing to stop me from drilling 16  and it wood look nice and you never no you may need it one day if any one is gowing to copy it you can put as meny hols in as you wish

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
Nice going Bob  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That reminds me i must get round to finishing the indexing attachment  i started making for my lathe  :proj:

Rob

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »

Good 'un Bob,

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)