Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Fixing a tapered bore

<< < (3/3)

rleete:
Very funny, Bogs.   ::)

I finished the piston.  Damn near line to line fit on both ends, with a slight binding in the center.  A bit of lapping should fix it right up.  Actually, it's probably a little too tight.  It's still got a slightly rough surface on the bore, so it is gonna have to be run in anyway.  I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. 

bogstandard:
I think that once you have yourself sorted out with a few techniques, and a little more basic equipment, you will have very little trouble achieving what you want.

I think where new machinists go wrong, they stick to the plans as though they are gospel written in stone, and worry over a few thou here and there. So what, if the bore is a bit bigger, just make a bigger piston to fit, and modify the end caps to fit in the larger cylinder, job done, and only you know about it.

If you make a mistake, you can usually find a way to 'fix' it, and carry on as though nothing had happened.
No one is going to send a bolt of lightening your way, just because it isn't exactly to plans. If it runs, it is right.

Bogs

Bernd:

--- Quote from: rleete on January 03, 2009, 01:37:31 PM ---
No.  It's one of the things on the list.  I got the lathe and mill, and some cutting tools, but not much else. 

First thing is a QCTP.  I was given a whole slew of nicely ground HSS bits by an old timer at work, but they're all 3/8.  My lathe takes 5/16, so I can't use them.  BTW, I have a handful of 1/2" HSS lathe bits (also given to me) that I can't forsee using.  Can you use them?

--- End quote ---

Got an idea for a face plate for your machine. I forgot what size lathe you have. Anyway, if the jaws of the 3 jaw chuck are reverseable you could make yourself a faceplate to fit the 3 jaw and mount your cylinder on that. I'll have to mock up one of my chucks and take a pic. Would be easier to understand.

Those 1/2" tool bits can be used for parallels. So I'd say keep them for that.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version