Author Topic: I Hate Banks  (Read 6120 times)

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
I Hate Banks
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
I just hate banks, a bunch of un-ethical liers. :hammer:

They lose my FICA documents, then just block my credit cards.

Don't phone, no Email, no letter, wait 'till I phone then have the damn lie to say they never had them. :hammer:

"So we will only unblock them when you submit the documents."

!@#$%^&*(* cheek, "well" I said  "in that case I ain't paying what I owe you bye" :) :) :)

Just have to love banks :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

DaveH

(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: I Hate Banks
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
DaveH

:doh:
I have to fully agree with you on this one. They are nothing more than a bunch of legalized crooks protected by all levels of government. A friend recently needed to get some bank cheques so she could pay the rent. Minimum quantity 50. price $42.00 +GST +PST = $44.73. On top of that there is a $0.50 service charge on each cheque.

Really ticks me off. I get charged the same thing except for the fact that I'm an old fart so they waive the fee's and boy do I take advantage of them and make them pay to make up for what they overcharge their younger customers. :smart:

In Canada you hear of companies breaking even or having a slight loss in a bad year. Not so with banks. It seems as though each year is another record breaking year for them. :ddb:

OK, getting back on horse and riding off into the sunset. :wave: :wave:

cheers  :beer:

Don

edit: changed HST to PST
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:53:36 PM by dsquire »
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
Good Lord, grabbing barstewards ..

I've never paid for a Cheque Book ... don't think any UK Bank charges for them .. dunno for sure though  :scratch:

What's GST / HST ??? ... ( but if 'ST' stands for 'Sexually Transmitted' I don't want to know ... )  :lol:

BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline woodguy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »
GST - Goods and services tax like your VAT - we call it the Gouge and Screw Tax
HST - Harmonized sales tax - a combination of GST and PST (Provincial sales tax)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »
Good Lord, grabbing barstewards ..

I've never paid for a Cheque Book ... don't think any UK Bank charges for them .. dunno for sure though  :scratch:

What's GST / HST ??? ... ( but if 'ST' stands for 'Sexually Transmitted' I don't want to know ... )  :lol:

BC

Dave

Actually it should read GST / PST. I goofed again. GST is Goods and Sales Tax. PST is Provincial Sales Tax. HST is Harmonised Sales Tax which is a combination of both the GST and PST. It is just another way of saying value added tax for which no value has been added but it fills the pockets of the robber barons in higher places.  :(

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline usn ret

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »
Dave, any update to the banking saga???????????  And the statement "then I ain't paying you" :doh: :doh:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline DaveH

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
Hi,

They refuse point blank to disscus it with me. :wack:

Don't answer any Emails (well two). :wack:

A legal friend says they will just close my accounts (freeze). That could stop me opening another, because the new bank would want references. :(

It all hinges around the fact - have I irresputable proof I took my documents in to the bank. There in lies the problem, a piece of paper with the bank stamp on - isn't enough!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

So still waiting to see who chickens out first.

:beer:
DaveH

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 01:09:39 PM »
In July of 1971, I walked into the local branch of the (reputedly) best commercial bank in my area.  I deposited $15,000 in cash to open an account for my (first) business.  I went out the next day and: rented premises for my business, purchased (about) $3000 worth of stock for my shop, and bought (about) $2000 worth of equipment.  3-4 days after opening my account, all the checks I had written started being refused as "NSF" (Not Sufficient Funds).  I brought my checkbook and deposit slip to the bank in question and asked for answers.  The branch president told me that I could have picked up the deposit slip off the ground and that they had no reason to believe my checkbook.

Four months later (the quickest it could be arranged) my father (an attorney) got a court order to review the bank's books.  It turns out that a typo in processing a check from another account took $14,980 out of my account.  It took more than six years to get: (A) my credit rating restored and (B) a refund from the bank in question for the mis-withdrawn funds AND the "NSF" charges levied against me.

Yeah, tell me about it...

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
Hi David,

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist or to spread alarm and despondency, but Mr Google tells me that "FICA documents" are used to verify who you are (your South African ID card) and where you live (a recent utility bill) to comply with anti-money laundering legislation.

What would worry me is that some dishonest bank employee has stolen the documents, with a view to their misuse -to take out a huge loan in your name, for example.  If I were you, I would escalate a complaint to higher levels within the bank, and consider reporting the matter to the police and the Finance Intelligence Centre (or at least, tell the bank that you are going to report it).

Andy.
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline DaveH

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
Hi Andy,

You are 100% correct wrt FICA here in SA.

The bank only has copies, and like most banks here will admit nothing. Yes they have apologied for any inconvenience  caused, but maintain they never had my FICA documents.

They will never admit to losing them, because they are charged under an Act of Parliment to keep them safe and not to disclose them any 3rd party. Admitting to losing them would cause the bank major issuses. They are not going to admit it.

I have no objection to taking in the documents ( I think it is a load of cr@p though) but if it stops bad people doing bad things I'm for it.

My major complaint was the bank didn't inform me - just closed the account. It would have been nice to send an Email, letter or phone -but nothing.

I'm still complaining, if I go too far they will just offer to close the accounts, which I may well do, but only when it is convenient  for me to do so.

With regards giving loans on copies of ID documents - no financial institute will do that, if they do they would have broken the law, they have to see the original.

Something will happen eventually.

DaveH

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 05:22:31 PM »
In the far off distant times when foreign currency had to be applied for and bought over the bank counter my wife bought some and paid in cash when she collected it.  The bank had made a miscalculation in the exchange rate and to fix the matter they took funds from my checque account which then got overdrawn and checques bounced,  to say I was right pissed off would be an understatement!  All I ever got was a grudging verbal apology and eventually a refund for the penalties on the overdrawn checque account.  40 years later I assume my credit standing has recovered from that little setback.  I say daub and plaster the muddy buckets.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline kvom

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
Sometimes it's better to just shake your head and give them the copies they want.  No one at a bank will care about your principles; sorry but true.

Offline mcr

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »
Question: What do you call 1000 bankers chained together at the bottom of the sea?
Anser: A good start :clap:

Offline Pappy Frank

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:28 AM »
Banks are just another group trying to get into our wallets.

To say that Banks and Bankers believe they are God is to underestimate them. I think they believe they appointed God to his position.

Pappy Frank

Offline DaveH

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
Ah well, now we know what happened, my branch has closed down.

Again not a word, just closed and moved my account to another branch.

No notification - nothing.

What a bunch of trucking trankers.

DaveH