Author Topic: Welding table  (Read 7896 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Welding table
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I was at the dump and this perfectly good cart was lying there. It had huge casters on the legs and was welded up out of heavy angle iron. I talked with the scrappy and he said I could have it. I added 12" to the height and welded a bank door that a friend gave me. Next time I have the saaw out I'll cut out some shelves.

Not everyone can say they have a table made out of a bank door :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
Re: Welding table
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Nice score!  No better use for a bank door that I can think of.
I skin cats my own way!

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
Wes,

Sure is a fine welding table. :thumbup: :clap:

DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:41 AM »
Recycling at it's best!  :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
You need a good solid table for welding on :thumbup: :thumbup:
I used some heavy cast iron marking off table legs with a bit of half inch plate on top (i could not get any 1 inch)
Cant beat a bit of recycling
Especially when it is free
John

Offline Davo J

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »
Nothing better than recycling, it will be a good strong handy table.

If that was a my tip you would expect to pay at least $50 for it. They are absolute rip offs over here and ask ridiculous prices. I see stacks of old whipper snipper (weed eaters) and they want $15-$30 for them? You can buy a new one on special for around $75. 
The tip has a recycle shed their and the scrap guys put in a tender in to run it off the council. It is like walking into a antique shop with the prices, but you only get crap.

When I was a kid it was like you guys over their, we used to ride our push bikes over with trailers and sit down in the bush and wait for the guys to knock off for the day. Once they where gone everyone would come out of the bush and start going through to find things. My first go kart come from their, finding different things each week to build it.

Dave

Offline crab

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
Great table!If it was in my shop it would be coverd in junk about one second after I built it ::).
Crab
Central California

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »
Yea, I've really been trying to keep it clean. I've used it several times. I need to strip the paint off the top so I get a better ground connection. It's a great table.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
If ever you find an Al sheet, welding tables covered with Aluminium are great, steel doesn't stick, no grinding to clean up and excellent electrical contact!

Regards, Matthew