Author Topic: Four Truck Shay  (Read 17392 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Four Truck Shay
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
Thanks Dave.

If you would have seen how out of shape it looked after I bent the bar you would have thought those holes will never line up. ::) But a little bit of twisting and coaxing and all was well.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »
A bit of an  :update:. I've got all 4 archbar's bent. I did a little tweaking to get them to come out fairly well. The bent joints still need to be filled in with some weld. That's next. The jig was a big help in bending these, but the next four for the engine I'm going to try something alse. I've got some ideas floating around.

Here's what four archbar's look like.  ::)

Next will be some milling of the cast iron parts. So it's time to clean up the mill and have at it.

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
Just a quick note to bump this thread back to the top.

I haven't given up on this project  :lol: ,just in the make a tool to make a tool to do some milling mode. Plus with school taxes coming next month the CFO says that funds are way to low to buy raw stock. :palm: Poor planning on the shop management's part.  :bang:

Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »
Just a quick note to bump this thread back to the top.

I haven't given up on this project  :lol: ,just in the make a tool to make a tool to do some milling mode. Plus with school taxes coming next month the CFO says that funds are way to low to buy raw stock. :palm: Poor planning on the shop management's part.  :bang:

Bernd

I gotta jump in early here. I don't want you to loose momentum, your doing so good. Now would be a good time to start working on some of the castings.  :poke:

I totally agree on the educational taxes. If you don't pay them then the little devils can't go to school and get suspended and hang out down town. You wouldn't want that on your conscious would you.   :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
I did start working on the castings Don. But go here http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=5877.0 and see why. Hope that'll explain it.  ::)

Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »
Bernd

OK. All is forgiven. I understand about the make a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool to make a tool mode. Does it ever stop.   :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
I'm back at it. I gave up on the making of the 5/8" tool holder. See HERE as to why.

Anyway, I decided to use a 1/2" carbide four lipped end mill for no other reason that that's what I had. i started on the first set of journal boxes. Milled off just enough to take the taper out of the casting on both sides.

And here they are milled on both sides.

Next will be the journal boxes for the gear side.

Bernd