Author Topic: More stuff  (Read 7346 times)

Offline mechman48

More stuff
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:44:47 PM »
 :wave:
Some more pics.

I have dug out the trial version of my taper turning attachment, this needs a couple more mods to it to finish it off, i.e. marking fiducal lines to define the taper being cut, a more positive return screw action 'n stuff like that. As always I have used old drill MT's where possible & being commercially produced are as accurate as can be.The ball nose (from old ball bearing) was silver soldered on to provide some lateral movement in non protected centers (methoughts  :scratch:) still have yet to prove it's practicality in  tests  :dremel:.

Clamp type knurling tool, all the knurls in my pics were created using this

Will post some more later (hope some of you are not getting too bored) :coffee:
bfn

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: More stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:01:12 PM »
..... Will post some more later (hope some of you are not getting too bored) :coffee:
bfn

Bored? No way. WE LOVE PICS :D
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
Thanks for posting
The taper turning centre looks to be a handy bit of kit
John

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »
Nice work  :thumbup:

Offline Topos

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »
Gratitude for clever device is never boring!   

Thanks. :beer:

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
You make it look easy....

Dont quite understand the tailstock taper tool, but it looks neat and well used :beer:

Offline Pete.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:56:46 AM »
You make it look easy....

Dont quite understand the tailstock taper tool, but it looks neat and well used :beer:

You put the tool in the tailstock and mount your work so it's riding on the ball end, then you use the knurled adjuster to move the ball off-center. Now when you turn the piece you'll be forming a taper with the thin end nearest the chuck.

I don't see how degree markings are going to help however, unless you always turn a taper of the same length. If you off-set two different-length pieces the same amount (according to markings) you will get a different taper for each. Or is this something catered for by the reference to 'fiducal' lines?

That IS a neat idea though, and nicely made.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »
 :wave:
Thanks for the comments guys.
My concept of the 'fiducal' lines was to indicate settings for the more common tapers used i.e. 1,2,3, MT perhaps  'indicator lines' would be a better description (symantics?) I agree with your comment about different lengths producing different tapers but these lines would only indicate standardised 1,2,3, MT lengths  & I don't foresee myself doing anything other than common tapers  :scratch: so a couple of lines set up from either side of center line would be a helpfull quick ref. If you want to create a 'spot on' taper you can always set up a master taper in the headstock & set your compound slide using a DTI, or if you are really clever you could use 'Trigonometry'  ::) to calculate the offset, mind you I would simply use the taper charts from 'Zeus' if I needed to be that accurate  :ddb:
Am looking at posting more pics this weekend so bfn

mechman48

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'