Author Topic: Hitch reciever tubing tooling in the shop  (Read 4483 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Hitch reciever tubing tooling in the shop
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I know there is a name for this kind of tooling, but can't remember what it is called
they work well under the benches, and save bench space for tools that may not be used on a daily basis.
I started building the receivers for the 3 benches, that I will mount them on.

Attaching the mounting plates to the HF 2" receiver tubes, they were cheaper with the 20% off coupon. Then the raw tube at the metal supplier I was using at the time.

Mounted under the bench the end of the tube is flush with the edge of the bench, so when not in use it isn't a snag hazard.

Beverly shear HF knock off

smaller pipe vise

A little giant 4 in 1  flat shear, round stock shear, punch, bender
I have a 12" straight shear to mount yet along with a 4" vise that has bend and rolling attachments. A universal bender, and a bender/scroller from harbor freight.

All of them are at or slightly above the bench top level for ease and comfort working them.

And finally for those times when I'm some place that doesn't have a real vise, I have this.

A Wilton pipe vise, this one I made a little to short of a distance from the grill to the centerline of the vise. It won't work for me to cut any pipe with a regular ½" to 3" rigid pipe cutter. So this one will become the base for a regular 5" vise with the pipe jaws on the bottom side and the head swivels. since it will fit in the space.

I have a receiver hitch tube on the front of the truck, to spot the trailer next to the parents brick garage, and get the trailer in my yard. As it is easier than trying to back it in on the worlds busiest dead end street that I live on the corner of!

I also have an over head rack set up for the truck one in the front tube one in the back tube plus one for the front of the bed, that straps down to the tie downs. Its about 19 feet from rack to rack makes it easy to haul long stuff and not have anything permanent  flying in the wind when not in use. But that's another post.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hitch reciever tubing tooling in the shop
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
Glen,

That is a pretty cool idea. I have never seen it before. Great space saver.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »
Ah Glenn, your supposed to have that hitch mounted at the other end of the truck.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:11:41 PM »
 :doh:  :bugeye:  :clap:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:27 AM »
Glen.

That's clever thinking!  :clap: :clap:

Well done......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »
If it is too shaky or moves to much for you when using a tool, you can drill a hole in one of the bottom corners and weld a ½" nut over the hole, then weld an S shaped rod to the bolt heads for a finger grip handle. This will place pressure on to a side and upward to hold the tool tighter, in the receiver tube. I will be adding this to the next two I do as they will be used for my 12" plate/rod shear. Beats taking it off the bench and re installing it.  :thumbup: With the bolt you don't need the holes and hitch pins. You can leave off the finger grip, and use a socket if you need it to be rigidly mounted. :clap:

Here are a couple more that I have been reminded about.
The local HF store doesn't carry the vise plate mounted hitch, they also have a wider one for winch mounting, and one called a hitch step. And the adjustable 8 way hitch mount. Along with the excess cargo carrier which if you have a large tract of land works good to carry a water transfer pump hoses and other fence working tools and supplies. And not have to unload the bed of water tank and feed. Or so I have been told by somebody that does.
The bed extenders, turned so that the short end goes into the receiver with the long end up and the cross bar mounted on it. Is handy for other jobs, after carrying ladders or long metal or lumber.  I have a third one that is strapped into the bed of the truck so shorter sections can be carried.

Somebody made up a cable reel rod so they could un spool  the cable over land for their water pumps on the back forty by them self.

I think that the usefulness is limited by your imagination! :D

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen