Home Base > Introductions

Another newbie checking in

(1/3) > >>

pabird:
Hello group,
I’ve been soaking up as much as I can for a couple of months now and finally got up the courage to introduce myself. My name is Al but everyone calls me Smitty, I’m soon to be 55 yrs old. Up until about a year ago I hadn’t operated a lathe since high school.  I’ve worked for the last 33yrs in a coal fired power plant in the maintenance dept so I’ve always been close to things mechanical. Anyway about a year ago I bought a 9x20 and have been busy working the bugs out of it and making improvements. My shop is “my half” of our 2 car garage. No milling machine yet just the lathe and a tool grinder and a bunch of hand tools.
   I’m not on the same level as most here but I’m having a ball learning. I like the groups attitude, keeps me coming back. I’ll go back to “absorb” mode now and may even be able to contribute in the future. Smitty

Brass_Machine:
Hey Smitty!

I am not on the same level with people here, so never fear. I think we have a great core of people here who are willing to teach (& learn) to ask questions of. Feel free to ask questions when things pop up that you don't know... or even still, throw your suggestion or idea into the ring.

So quick question, the nick pabird... does that mean you are in Pennsylvania?

You can't go back into absorb mode just yet..

Welcome to the club!

Eric

rleete:
Welcome, you'll not find a more helpful crew anywhere.

Brass, one thing I really like to see in the profile is a location  (Hint, hint).  Interesting to see where people are, and the diversity.

Bernd:
Welcome Smitty,

The only level here to attain is the fun level, that's it, thare are no other levels.

Hey, we all started somewhere.  Sounds like you got a good start on it anyway with a lathe and playing around. That's how you learn and by asking questions.

No dumb questions here, dumb answers maybe, but no dumb questions. :)

Bernd

bogstandard:
A big welcome Smitty,

I know a lot about machining, but naff all about coal fired power plants, so that puts us on an equal footing.

From now on you are the site expert on the subject.

Now doesn't that make you feel better already.

Just ask your questions, no matter how simple, and I am sure all the members on here will be fighting to give you an answer .

Bogs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version