Author Topic: Computer Printers  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Poorfit

Computer Printers
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:59:30 AM »
Does anyone know of a printer that you can turn off the colour cartridge for black and white printing. It is rather stupid to be using ink from a colour pot to print black only. Does a black and colour laser printer allow the printer to print black only without using colour ink. 

Ed

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
Re: Computer Printers
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:12:47 AM »
I think most printers will let you choose to print in black in the options menu, mine does.
Its a Lexmark x2550 printer scanner etc.

my old one did too.

Roy
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:18:51 AM »
I have just stopped using a HP printer that you could get a extra large printer cartridge in black and also print from it only.it was a HP 2575 all in one Photo printer, It was the first printer th

at I had bought with  Ethernet, I have just changed back to epson as I think the photo printing is far better, ( why do so many printer manifactures not have  Ethernet on there printers only WI Fi )

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:35:34 AM »
I have the HP 5600 Deskjet and in print preferences I can choose to use color or black.  Check your printer preferenes and setup.
Ray
Waco, Texas

Offline bry1975

• http://www.satintime.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
What about an A4 thermal printer? :D

Offline kwackers

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »
Every Epson I've ever had gives you the option in the print menu. Simply select B&W from the print menu.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »
yes Just checked my Epson styls Photo PX720WD and that prints black only, Oh and is a ink jet. photo printing is great and it prints DVD disks as well two paper trays.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Poorfit

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:58:31 AM »
I have a Kodak ESP5. Tried the Black & White setting and the printer still will not work. According to the Staples repair technician, "Even when the Black & White box ix checked, the coloured ink cartridge is still being drained. According to the printer people, colour is added to the black to enhance the printing quality. I have just installed the new colour cartridge and it is working fine. I will leave the setting on
B & W and let you know when the colour box runs out.

Ed

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »
I have a Brother MFC-6490CW inkjet printer/scanner/copier/fax machine.  It is wonderful!  It will handle paper up to 11 X 17 inches.  The B&W mode is a true B&W mode (i.e. it only uses black ink).  The ink is relatively inexpensive when purchased from http://www.professorink.com/ (three orders so far and all of them very good).  I print a lot of drawings (20-30 per week on average) as well as 50-100 document sheets in an average week.  I get upwards of a year from the "high capacity" cartridges.

My model is now four years old.  I know that the model number has changed since then.  It is a truly wonderful workhorse!

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
I'm still using an oldish all in one (about 2 years old), Epson RX620. Which will do all black printing from the setup menu.

The reason I haven't changed it? I can get third party cartridges for less than a fiver a set.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?nav=8&product=PJ-R300-COMBO-5&title=5+Packs+of+Epson+R200+%2F+R220+%2F+R300+%2F+R320+%2F+R340+%2F+RX500+%2F+RX600+%2F+RX620+6+Ink+Bundle+%2830+Cartridges%29+

My next printer will be the one that I can get full cartridge sets for cheap. They basically give printers away for nothing nowadays, and get their money back on ink cartridge sales. You only have to look at HP for exorbitant cartridge prices, which when I used to use one, I refilled the cartridges up to five or six times before the built in heads started to clog up, and even then they can easily be unclogged to give even more life.

And no, I have never had any problems printing with them, and colour photos still come out great.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175