The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Compliments

(1/2) > >>

bogstandard:
On the welcome committee for John S, Bernd made a statement as to how I felt about someones work.

--- Quote ---If Bogs is impressed with your work...............
--- End quote ---

I have always felt, and said it many times, and to explain it simply, if you try something, even though it doesn't turn out quite right, or isn't a great looker, at least you have tried your best.

That is all that is required in this game, millions out there won't even try it.

So no matter how meagre the results, there should always be praise, because someone is trying his/her damned hardest to make something with their hands, and what few skills and resources they have.

I am not saying that John's efforts are meagre, far from it, they are superb, but a total beginner who has just managed to drill a straight hole in the right place, should get the same amount of praise and encouragement.

Someone who has a week of experience can't be expected to turn out the same sort of results as someone who has many years under their belts, and we all need a bit of encouragement now and again. It is what pushes us to go that extra little bit.

John

Bernd:
Ah John, did I do something wrong? :zap:  :scratch:

I'm starting to think we don't understand each other even though we use, some what, the same language. I meant that as a compliment to both of you. You Bogs for teaching John. And John for doing such a great job as student. He did far better than I with over 30 years in the machining trade.

Ok, I'm going to crawl back in my cold dark hole now. :(

Bernd

bogstandard:
No Bernd, you haven't got the wrong end of the stick.

I was just using your text as an example. What I was trying to get over is that if you even attempt to do something, praise should be the reward, even if the end result was crap. It is the trying that matters, not the result.

Good results are just a bonus.

A few of us get more bonuses than others, but that doesn't mean we should get more praise, the newbie has most probably struggled more to achieve his goal than any of us experienced ones.

I think it is just me, I don't get the message across correctly sometimes, as I waffle on a lot.

Bogs

cedge:
Bernd
Don't sweat John's opinion....(grin) He shares his compliments quite unselfishly. It does indeed feel good when an old timer acknowledges a hard won battle that a newbie has just waged and won. I know because his gracious encouragement got me past several tight spots too.

John...
What I think is being said here is a simple "thank you" for having not forgotten the struggles of the newly initiated.  The learning curve has been steep and the successes were often small and hard won, especially in the beginning. Without a bit of encouragement, it could have been somewhat more difficult to maintain the needed morale levels to keep going. I happen to know that you also reap some pretty strong personal rewards when you see the new guy begin to "get it". Thanks for your patience and advice.

Steve
Waffle Maven and Purveyor of Maple Syrup

rleete:
Cedge, and bogstandard:

I agree.  My thread over on that other forum about making a successful single point thread is an example.  Link:  http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3591.msg35976#msg35976

It may not seem like a lot to more experienced guys, but being able to do something I hadn't tried before, and having some "old hands" recognize not only the effort, but also praise the results is a great motivator.  With wives and friends sometimes being ambivalent at best, having someone who shares the hobby keeping you focused is necessary.  It helps to see the wonderful finished engines, but the sometimes confusing steps to get there can be daunting to the novice.  Sharing and getting a simple 'thanks for posting' can make the difference between continuing on, and giving up in frustration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version