The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

4x6 Rebuild

(1/5) > >>

sparky961:
I've been slowly plugging away at rebuilding a 4x6 bandsaw I picked up for next to nothing.  A good thing too, because there were lots of missing and damaged parts!  Fortunately, the other one I have works fine and I can use it as a model for making new parts.

I put a lot of time and effort into making new blade guides, and I have some pictures of the process that I might post a bit later.  This post is related to the main worm drive, and what I believe to be a bronze gear...

I have a few options here, and I'd be appreciative of input from those who know better than I.  Here's what I'm considering:

1. Purchase a replacement - from where, and how much?
2. Make a replacement - pretty sure I can do a good job of it, but need to consider material and time cost vs. purchasing a replacement.  It seems brass is much easier to come by than bronze.  Would I regret making the gear from brass rather than bronze?

Much thanks!  Bug me if you'd like to see those other pictures and I'll see what I can come up with.

-Sparky

tomrux:
sure as hell looks like steel in the pics mate. does a magnet stick to them at all ??????

know the ones in my unit are steel.

Tom

sparky961:
The worm itself is almost certainly steel.  What would the technical name for the other part be - the spur gear?  This is the one that's chewed to almost nothing.

I'll be damned... a neodymium magnet just barely sticks to it!  It's not steel, but maybe this would help to identify what it's made from?  I was thinking bronze because it isn't a red brass and it isn't quite as golden as a yellow brass.  It is, perhaps a bit lighter coloured than I'd expect for bronze though.

Any good tests to tell the difference between brass and bronze?  Is it really going to matter in the end?  Maybe I just make it out of steel and call it a day?

-Sparky

John Stevenson:
They are bronze and there must have been tens of thousands of these made and sold by people like Grizzly and Busy bee that I'm guessing they wouldn't be worth making but buy the part instead.

http://www.busybeetools.com/product_manuals/B013N.pdf

John s.

Bernd:
I'm with John. It would be better to buy one. Making one is a bit harder than you might realize. Also the worn part is called a "worm wheel" or "worm gear".

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version