Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

Tool Grinder

<< < (3/5) > >>

bogstandard:
Darren,

Only prob with the die grinder is as you mentioned, it blows the grinding dust everywhere. Maybe a little shroud around it to direct the blast away from the grind area would be a prudent thing to do.

I have bought a cheapo die grinder, but not for grinding. I need a 50K+ motor to make a precision drill press.

The recommended speed for the drills I want to use is 96K, so I will just up the pulley size a bit, to get it closer to the range I want. Not worried about the noise aspect either, as the operation should be completed in a couple of seconds.

John

Baldrocker:
Jeez  I only arst.
But then maybe the responses saved me a nasty
so all well and good
BR

bogstandard:
BR,

Not shooting you down in flames, just making someone realise that there is usually a little bit more to something than what is seen.

If things are done in a safe and calculated manner, all sorts of things become available, but diving in with eyes closed can lead to serious problems.

There was once an article in one of the modelling mags (don't ask, I have given most of them away) about making and using a bench grinder as a swing surface grinder, and it worked very well, and in a safe manner.

Attached crap-o-cad gives the idea.

John

bogstandard:
That's great Ian, I must still have that article in my collection, as MEW are the ones I never got rid of.

John

SPiN Racing:
NOOB TIME

Ok... so I have been building and racing Rotary powered cars for many many years. I have built my share of engines, and all of them (knock on wood) are still ripping along strongly.
My work on them has been from instruction I got from the old school masters.. (I know a couple guys who have been building them for years, one of which is quite infamous as having help buid the engines for the LeMans cars.)
Needless to say.. a lot of information I went with and extrapolated the theories, and the reasoning, combined with my aviation knowledge, and slew of other random knowledge.. and have ended up with some very nice engine designs that work very well.
By designs I simply mean, porting designs, and or modifications within rule sets, to generate additional power over what was conventionally considered the hard limits.

All this being said.

I know that when someone has a rotary engine they can have it... "machined" in a manner that I BELIEVE is called Blanchard Grinding? Basically you bolt the steel end plate, or center plate of the engine... that is perfectly flat, to a machine.. and it has a VERY LARGE DIAMETER stone, that exerts a goodly amount of pressure... generates a massive amount of dust.. and makes the surface VERY flat. Like 4 decimal places I think? And mirror smooth?  Only a few shops in the USA in the rotary "world" are capable of having this done.

SO I understand that form of grinding..

Why would you use a stone to grind a shaft, or somethig in a lathe?

I mean... Im trying to figure out the specific use of a grinding wheel on a lathe.

I wouldnt think it was to remove a "lot" of metal would it? Doesnt seem like it would be very precise.
Is it for a specific level of finish? If so why not polish it?

Sorry for the noob question.. but I was trying to understand why.

Scott, scratching his head

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version