The Shop > Tools

Internal hole measurement - bearing seat - opinions?

<< < (5/5)

richardwilde90:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on June 18, 2011, 07:08:35 AM ---About internal measurement.

Fork from this thread:
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=5524.0
Internal micrometers opinions please?

I have slight problem producing correctly dimensioned bearing seats. Part of the problem is measuring the hole diameter and geometry right.

I realize threepoint is a way to go. But if I have no iclination to commit that hefty investment yet, the range of bearings I'm likely to encounter would require quite a few of those.

How do does this type bore gauge compare with telescopic bore gauge:
http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/35-to-50mm-internal-dial-bore-gauge.html

I have some acceptable micrometers, setting out or reading the diameter is not big deal.

That dial type gauge looks like it would come handy when boring the bearing seat and I'm gradually approaching right ID. Still two point, can't detect ovality, but least could see if it comes out barel or diameter is all wrong.

There is learning curve with any measurement instrument - I realize that - what I'm trying to find out that:
* How accomplished machinist measures a bearing seats for correct fit ?
* Is bore gauge/telescopic gauge way to go?

I have quite a many old books and there are may ways to measure internal diameters. However nowadays many measuring instruments seem to more affordable than back then. People have tendency to use available technology.

So:
* Mike the OD of the bearing (to check the mike)
* Set the bore gauge to the measurement +/- fit
* Check the bore and machine until happy

Or use slightly more expensive telescopic gauge and mike it after each measurement? Just more fiddly or potentially more accurate?

Or am I into wild goose chase and really should machine bores oversize instead, glue fixed bearing and aim to to have free bearing sliding fit?

Pekka

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version