Author Topic: X3 Belt drive  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Stumpy

X3 Belt drive
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
This was not my idea put some thing i did to go along with my driver/controller board upgrade.

The X3 drive train hertz my ear's at full speed and was some thing i wanted to sort out along with getting shut of the useless controller board that is in the back of the X3.

So i did away with the top drive gears on the quill and put a HTD drive in its place (ill let the pictures do all the work on this) The mill now runs very smooth because of less backlash in the gear train .  That's step 1 for step 2 (for witch i cant find the pictures for) i junked all the old electronics,switch's and wiring and started over.  There is now a Sprint Dc drive in the back of the mill witch is a lot smaller fan cooled with the ability to be totally programed /set to you every need. I can set start up amp's,ramp up and down speeds,max amp's, and all sorts of things the pay off is more power for less amp's (cooler running motor and longer life) loads more motor rpm for the same voltage with lots of low rpm power for tapping or big endmill's.

All in all i now have bags of power at all setting even in high gear and because of the new HTD belt iv got about 4000 rpm for drilling and running small carbid endmill's

http://www.sprint-electric.com/products.php?cid=7&sid=14
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:12:10 PM by Stumpy »
If i cant fix it ill know some one that can

Offline PekkaNF

Re: X3 Belt drive
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:47:09 AM »
Thank you.

Looks very fitting.

I never seen timing belt wheel produced by drilling. How did you round crests (or crowns or what are these top of the tooths callits?)? They are completely quiet and don't munch the belt for lunch?

Do you have any active gears or is this purely two stage toothed belt drive?

Pekka

Offline matnewsholme

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
looks like a variant on mod dick stephen did in model engineers workshop a couple of years ago. On my to do list. got the belt ready. from memory you round the crests on the pulley teeth using a wire brush. dont think it needs much, just the sharp edge taking off.

think the relevent articles are available as PDFs on Arceurotrade site.

Mat

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »
Thanks

Found the article and preparation guide. Interesting.

Have seen evreka/discs method for making the cutters. Drilling was new to me.

Pekka

Offline Stumpy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:25:21 AM »
 Yes you are right it is a take on the Dick Stephen mod i just added my bit in there i all so upped the RPM the driver/controller was all mine its all so a lot cheaper to replace over the standard set up if yours was to ever fail.
If i cant fix it ill know some one that can