Author Topic: Carbide inserts for wood/epoxy/stone dust/Coran turning  (Read 4135 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Carbide inserts for wood/epoxy/stone dust/Coran turning
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
I'm looking for any suggestions for inserts to put on home shop made tooling handles for turning wood and other materials that dull the regular turning tools. What I know about the inserts is they are sharp at the edge, negative rake, fine grain material high polished.
Now It has been suggested that round style ones for aluminum will meet the polished,fine grain sharp at the edge.
What numbers/letters are used for aluminum? I would rather not spend the next week looking through 1,000's of inserts listed in the nomenclature listings.
I have no Idea what any of the letters numbers mean. Since I don't have a need to use the inserts beyond the one set up for the Sherline lathe I have, I have the Plasatool holders and inserts, for the occasional turning the work fine.

I have also been told that I could take a diamond file and dress the edge of the insert for a better finish.

The companies that sell the tool holders and inserts sell them at a high price for use by occasional wood turner.

The fancy woods in the handles and the alloy holders material seems like so much hype. Not to mention any where from $15.00 and up for the inserts.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
Re: Carbide inserts for wood/epoxy/stone dust/Coran turning
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »
Pt,

If you have a Dremel (or simular) with  a diamond wheel that will also sharpen them.

Positive rake inserts are available.

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
Just to address the issue of sharpening, a silicon carbide (typically green) grinding wheel works great on carbide.  I've modified quite a few to suit my needs.

-Sparky

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:53:59 AM »
Thanks, will have to collect some and play with the idea after the holidays!  :dremel:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen