Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Lathe Coolant

<< < (2/2)

Bernd:
Hey Spin,

Very nice mod to a home shop machine. This is the kind of stuff I like.

Bernd

sbwhart:
Hi Spin

Great bit of work:  :thumbup: coolant is a real usefull adition to a machine, I sarted with a gravity drip on my machine rigged up from a hospital drip, (got family in that line of work  :dremel:) that did me for a bit then I bought a small camercial unit, as I've only got a small shop, my machines will be close together so when I get my mill I'm planning to service both machine from the one coolant tank.

For those chaps who don't know coolant does three main things

1:- keep the tool cool (obvious that one)

2:- Lubricate the tool reducing friction and wear

3:- Clears chips away from the tool

On comercial machine tools some coolant systems can be quite high pressure especialy when deep hole drilling etc, the coolant being forced up small holes in the drill this washes the chips back out away from the cutting face.

There are many different types of coolant and methods of applying it depending on the material being machined and the type of machining being done, but for our use any good general purpose water soluble coolant will be fine what ever you find best.

We use to run six spindle cam autos  (good American machines made by ACME Gridley) on neat cutting oil the only problem was that if the swarf was alowed to build up round the tool they cought fire  :bugeye:

Have fun

:wave:
Stew

bogstandard:
Spin,

A little tip for you.

If you get a fairly large magnet (I used a speaker magnet broken into 2 horse shoe shapes), and pop it very close to the tray drain or into your bucket top strainer or both. That will pick up most of those tiny ferrous cuttings that can get into the bottom of your bucket and fester away. Just clean them down every now and again.

It is the tiny particles that get thru which do the damage to pumps and bits. I don't have a solution to stainless or non ferrous, but anything that can be done all helps.

Also make sure your draw tube is about 1/3rd away from the bottom of the bucket, that way, any heavy stuff will settle out, and you won't be pulling it into your pump. Scrape the settled crap out every so often.

John

SPiN Racing:
 Oh yes thanks!!

I will put a magnet down there and get it in the fluid.

Works well :)

Spun a piece of metal tonight to make a small spacer for seating lug studs in a RX-7 rearend tonight. Need to think ahead and snap some pics of the little stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version