Author Topic: Seeking advice on Maximat V10-P  (Read 5553 times)

Offline fluxcored

Seeking advice on Maximat V10-P
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:37:44 AM »
Hi Guys,

I came across this deal this morning ... http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-auto-parts-accessories-Lathe-Milling-EMCO-W0QQAdIdZ288703768

The guy wants about 1200 pounds for the lot which seems fair to me. It looks like a 1970'ish Maximat to me - according to Tony's site and the color of the machine.

It's got all the accessories that I'm missing for my Boxford + it's got a gearbox (I have'nt got change gears for my Model CSB) and then some more.

The milling head seems to be very useful for a guy like me (the accidental machinist) - I am saving up for a Sieg X3 or slightly higher specced bench mill but this may be the ticket.

I've offered him 800 pounds for it.

What do you guys think?  Should I rather continue saving for a milling machine? I mean the Boxford is really sweet, but jeez all the accessories that's coming with this machine makes it really irresistible.

Regards.

"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline mardtrp

Re: Seeking advice on Maximat V10-P
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 05:59:50 AM »
Comparing a Boxford to the Maximat is like chalk and cheese, the Maximat is a far superior machine, all round.

If you are able to pick it up personally, then it's an absolute bargain at the asking price.

By trying to beat him down on the price, is an insult.

My opinion only, others may differ.

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:31 AM »
Thx, mardtrp. You're right. I did'nt feel too good making such a low offer.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:59:43 AM »

By trying to beat him down on the price, is an insult.

My opinion only, others may differ.

Yep, like me for example. IMHO, haggling is all part of a sale, especially this kind of stuff. If I were selling up, I'd overprice my kit & expect to be haggled down to somewhere near its true value.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:04:54 AM »
HI well i love haggling

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:10:34 AM »
I'll call the guy tonight to close the deal. Not really a good time for me financial wise but I think it's a great deal.

Offline MikeA

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:31:24 AM »
Hello,

At that price with those accessories, this is not a great price, it's a STEAL!!!!  That lathe in the states with those accessories would go for at least 3X what he is asking, (assuming it is in decent condition, i.e. nothing major broken.) Plus you are getting some great accessories  - that vise alone would sell for perhaps $350 or more.

Be aware parts/accessories for these lathes are virtually non-existent, and when they do show up on evilBay or equivalent they get prices that will make you weak in the knees. You could buy that lathe and part it out and make a lot more money, although I would hate to see that done.

I own a Maximat V10-P and can state unequivocally it is a great machine, accurate, flexible, powerful - a real pleasure to use. Bought mine about 18 months ago in really sad condition - it had been abused by ham-handed cretins for some time and needed extensive restoration. Even with all the effort required, it was still worth it.

You should check out http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/emcoV10lathe as there is a wealth of information as well as manuals, parts listings, etc, that will help as you go along.

If there is anything I can help you with, please ask.

Best,
Mike
'Better is the enemy of good enough!'