Author Topic: More Boxford lathe model A questions  (Read 11232 times)

Offline timeone

More Boxford lathe model A questions
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Hope you Boxford owners can give me some guidance
How do you remove the chuck
the grease/oil points eg the small bearing are these grease points or oil

can someone explain what all the levers do gear change ect

appreciate any advise

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: More Boxford lathe model A questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
The chuck unscrews (8tpi normal RHT) from the spindle.  I think there's a spindle lock on the boxford but,  if it doesn't have a spindle lock, you'll have to investigate another way of holding the spindle still  (DO NOT engage the back gear to hold the spindle - you WILL strip the gears ) .

The lever on top or front of the head stock is the back gear (later ones are usually locked in place by a couple of cap screws). Stop lathe and rock chuck manually to engage it.

The lever poking out the change-gear box at the left end of the headstock is the tumbler reverse for threading and surfacing (stop lathe before selecting).

The apron has a star-wheel to engage/disengage the power feed and a three position lever to select facing/off/surfacing (it quite tricky to disengage the star-wheel while the carriage is moving, so be careful). The other one to the right, is the half nut engage lever for threading.

Do you have a threading gearbox?

Bill
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:14:05 PM by BillTodd »
Bill

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
 if it doesn't have a spindle lock, you'll have to investigate another way of holding the spindle still  (DO NOT engage the back gear to hold the spindle - you WILL strip the gears ) .
Bill

Oooops  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: Glad I read that one in time!!

Chris

Offline timeone

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:36:33 PM »
And i thought youd know Chris    Damm

Offline timeone

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »
Yes i have a thread cutting gearbox metric as well
What does this lever do

This is what i build
A mate does all my machining but he is emigrating in October so ive got to get my head in gear and learn quick so i can make things as i need them.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »
Hi
Nice looking lathe
Have a look at this group loads of boxford info
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoxfordLathe-UserGroup/
John

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
Looks like Boxford ME 10 which is slightly differend to my AUD. The lever you show in the picture is, I think, the back gear engagement lever. You can get a copy of the Boxford manual from Tony Griffiths web site lathes.co.uk. I have a copy of Know Your Lathe which unfortunately does not have much info on the ME10. You could also try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoxfordLathe-UserGroup and ask the question there.

This is the description of the AUD

boxford 001 by Anzaniste, on Flickr
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »
timeone

Yes, the arrow in your picture is pointing to the pin which selects the back gear or main train.

In normal turning the back gear level is push back towards the belt pully and the front pin lever should be to the right hole. If you then put the pin lever to the left this disengages the main gear train and the chuck becomes totally free turning and disengaged (with the back lever still in the back position). If you then pull the back gear lever to the forward (front of machine) position with the pin lever to the left still this engages the back gear. If you then move the pin lever to the right with the back gear lever forward, the chuck totally locks up - my understanding is because you`ve selected the back gear and main train at the same time but I might be wrong about that. However that is certainly the combination on my boxford.

Now it is interesting, after writing all that I`ve just looked back at your picture and noticed your pin select lever is to the left which would either be totally disangaging the drive or engaging the back gear - so it looks like your could be the reverse of how I`ve described it unless you`ve moved it to see what it does before posting the pic!!

If you google "Boxford Know your Lathe pdf" some kind sole has put up a copy on the web :D

Let me know how it goes.

Offline timeone

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »
Found a solution but i dont think the right one
on the end of the drive shaft under the cover the shaft has several quite deep holes about 6mm dia
i was able to put a allen key in there and then rotate to lock it, enableing me to remove the chuck 
Is there any thing i need to know regarding taking chuck apart as its kind of tight in some spots so needs a good clean