Author Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
Stupid Question
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:41:31 AM »

Hi Guys

I am sure that this question may have been asked before, and I do apologise  but I can't find it in the search. 
I am just starting to cut metal on the webster project but I do not understand the tapping system instructions. What does  Tap #6-32  or for that matter  Tap # 4-40
actually mean?

best wishes

Mike

If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Stupid Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:53:22 AM »
These unified numbered taps are unique to America and replace our older BA system.
We still use BA or small metric.

The first number denotes a size and the second number denotes the thread in TPI.
We have problems with these as numbered unified screws are not common here and expensive because they are not common, also because we don't use then the size isn't obvious to us.

To an American engineer he probably knows in his head what a #6 is, we don't without consulting a reference table. Best bet is to find out what each size is and substitute the nearest you have in the system you want to use be it BA or metric.

#4 is close to 6BA or 3mm
#6 is close to 4BA or 3.5mm
#8 is close to 3BA or 4mm
#10 is close to 2BA or 5mm

John S
John Stevenson

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:16:59 AM »
Thanks for that John. I am prob going to go for small metric screws in any case, but I just could not fathom to what the designations refered. It is now clear.
Mike   
If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
Rick,

The number (#) screw system is one of those historical curiosities.  It was an artifact of the American wooden stove industry of the early 19th century.  There are several people/companies that are candidates for starting it, but it is hard to lay blame at this displacement in time.  The proposal within the stove industry was to have screw sizes from 1/16 (.0625) inch through 1/4 (.250) inch by 1/64 (.0156) inch increments.  The problem was that micrometers were not particularly good at this time.  After a number of times around the mulberry bush, they came up with #0 = .0600 inch as the basis.  Each increment above that (#1, #2, ... #14) was the number value multiplied times .0130 inch added to the basis (.0600 inch).  Each increment below that (#00, #000, or #0000) was the number of zeros multiplied times .0130 inch subtracted from the basis (.0600 inch).

Thus, a #6-32 has a major diameter of 6 X .0130 + .0600 = .1380 inches.  A #4-40 has a major diameter of 4 X .0130 + .0600 = .1120 inches.  Sizes #7, #9, #11, and #13 were discontinued in (about) 1845.  Sizes #12 and #14 are normally only found in ordinance manufacture today.

If you want to know everything there is to know about the American Unified National (and other) threads, google FED-STD-H28.  This is the official US Government handbook on the subject -- and it is still available for free.  If you go to http://www.scribd.com/Lew%20Merrick, you will find a number of technical papers that may be of interest.  One is my UN Thread Data Chart that provides quite a bit of information on Unified National threads reduced to table format.