Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Angle thingy....plate....

(1/4) > >>

Darren:
As some of you will know I've had a few new things of late and one thing I wanted to try out was the Mig Welder. I didn't want to just weld up some scrap to test it properly so I decided I'd better make something.

One thing I do not have at the mo is an angle plate, and at the same time a good machine vice. OK this project isn't going to make a machine vice, but it will help to hold things down solidly.

So we need an angle, this looks tough enough, just ! It's 10mm steel.

PS, that white stuff on the shaper is just a cleaning agent.....

Cutting it down to size on my newly acquired old bandsaw,

To make this square I need to machine it, so how about bolting it directly to the shaper?

I need to find the centers of the fixing bolts. The easy way is to measure the bolt diameter, note this (3/8 in this case) and zero the scale. Then you measure the outside distance between the bolts, but by first subtracting the diameter of one bolt by previously zeroing the scales, the reading will be equal to the center measurement of both bolts.
Easy and didn't have to do any maths either... :scratch:

So we have a measurement of almost 4.5", since I want some play I will make the mounting slots slightly wider, so 4.5" is near enough.
Mark up the work and mill some slots on the miller.

Fits too..... :D

Ok, so far so good. But, even though this angle is reasonably thick it's going to need some support webs if it's going to be any real use and not vibrate.
So back off to the bandsaw to cut some webs..

Sorry missed a couple of pictures. I cleaned them up ready for welding on the belt sander and used an angle grinder with a flap disk on the angle iron.

Now then, the welder.
I have not welded anything for well over 10yrs, maybe longer. But full of the confidence that often lets me down, I was brave and just welded the webs on. No trials, no testing the welder just the old brain digging up some past exp, set the settings and welded.

This was the first weld. I'm chuffed,   :) it could have been a bit hotter for this thickness, up another setting on the welder. But good enough all the same.

Back on the shaper to be finished off. Oops, it's a bit long, the shaper doesn't go that far back. This is an issue cos the cutter won't drop down properly after the return stroke. Due to the spacing of the bolt holes I couldn't make it shorter.

So back to the miller for a little alteration.

And here we are so far for tonight......it's supprising how un-flat and un-square these angle are. The shaper had some work to do.
If you want to make one of these, try to find some thicker angle to give a little room for machining it flat and square.

Divided he ad:
Looks like your Mig works well Darren.... I used to be able to weld like that... Haven't tried for years!

I must get a mig!

Looks like your having fun with the new tools anyway  :dremel:

mmmmm.... Just noticed Eric's been busy   :lol:

:offtopic: Pretty funny.... Just found it typing this post... No relation to the topic.... Sorry!

Angle plates... Got 2 recently... From uncle Bogs I haven't used them yet... Maybe you can inspire me to use them somewhere? I've yet to see them being used on anything (Where's Bernd... Bet he has some pic's of this kind of thing..... He uses all sorts of cool clamping methods  :headbang: )

Glad to see you have certainly found you feet here Darren  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Brass_Machine:
Not a bad weld for 10 years off. Actually, that is a very nice weld for that amount of time.

BUT....

You gotta clean up the bandsaw!  :wack:

Eric

Darren:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on December 17, 2008, 09:18:55 PM ---Not a bad weld for 10 years off. Actually, that is a very nice weld for that amount of time.

BUT....

You gotta clean up the bandsaw!  :wack:

Eric

--- End quote ---

Thanks Eric, I was pretty surprised myself being an unknown welder and all.

And what ya mean clean the bandsaw, what's wrong with it, cut's dunnit  :med:
Don't ya tink I got enuf on me plate lad..... :thumbup:

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote from: Darren on December 17, 2008, 09:37:20 PM ---
Thanks Eric, I was pretty surprised myself being an unknown welder and all.

And what ya mean clean the bandsaw, what's wrong with it, cut's dunnit  :med:
Don't ya tink I got enuf on me plate lad..... :thumbup:

--- End quote ---

I am 'trying' to get my welds to that state... One day (hopefully before I start the trike build)

ummm. The plate is full son, cause you took much from the buffet!

But yeah, it cuts.   :D   I will give you slack cause of all the cool stuff you are doing.  :headbang:

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version