Author Topic: My Sidewinder off-road buggy build *VIDEO ADDED*  (Read 46001 times)

Offline jones

My Sidewinder off-road buggy build *VIDEO ADDED*
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »
Hi,
First post here. I have just finished school and, in my 4 month break, decided to build an off-road buggy. After much research I came to the conclusion that http://www.edge.au.com/ had the best designs out there (no, I don't have any financial interest in the company). Plans for the sidewinder arrived and this is how far I have progressed with the project so far.

Frame:

Rear suspension swingarm:

Front suspension swingarms:

The buggy is not designed for sand dunes. It is designed for rough tracks where very high speed cornering is required, so on the dirt will go MUCH faster than a sand dune buggy.
Last week I went to a salvage auction for motorbikes and picked up this little beauty for a great price:

It is a 2007 Suzuki GS-500F with only 9,500 kms on it (5,900 miles). It has 47hp, it's oil and air cooled cooled, twin cylinder, AND has a 6 speed gearbox. I will be changing the rear sprocket from ~37 tooth on the bike, to 50 tooth on the buggy, so it should have great acceleration and a top speed of around 110 kph (70 mph) which is plenty fast enough for me.

Here is the engine after a friend and I removed it from the bike (it is HEAVY!):

Should have some more updates soon-ish once I get the engine put in

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:10:03 PM by jones »
Andrew
More sideways = more fun!

bogstandard

Re: My Sidewinder off-road buggy build
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
Andrew,

That is a real sweet project you have on the boil there.

The engine looks plenty powerful enough for what you want to achieve, it is no use overpowering the buggy, if you can't use it.

Are you going to use any of the other bits off the bike, or are you going to ebay them to recoup some of the cost?

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
Hey Andrew,

Glad to see you made it over hear.  :wave:

Stick around for a while so we cam see the finished buggy.

That's a nice little buggy you got going there. I built a dune buggy back in 1976 on a full length VW pan. had it on the road one year. Still have the remains of it (pan & body all seperate). Used a 1600CC V Dub engine. I'm going to have to dig those pics out.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:33:21 PM »
Andrew, welcome aboard.
Looking good so far, kep us updated please  :thumbup:

CC

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:15:30 PM »
Nice start! Definitely keep posting up!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:09:11 PM »
Hi Andrew.... That looks like fun :)

I don't have much on bike engines... But car engines.... Ripped hundreds of them apart.... They can't be that different ehh!!?

I'll be watching this one like the rest of the members.... it looks like too much fun not to view your progress  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:19:42 PM »
Same goes here Andrew, I one built a car from scratch so know how difficult setting those frames up can be.

Looks neatly done, please keep us updated I'm sure many of us here woud like to see how this turns out... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »
Coming from a background with VW rail buggies built for mountainous off roading, I'd have to predict that short wheel base and your choice of motors is going to combine be a real adrenaline producing ride. One of the guys in our group shortened his frame a wee bit more than prudent and the word "exciting" was only a mild description of the experience. Hill climbing while having only two non-steering wheels on the ground will tighten anyone's rectal orifice...LOL

Glad to see you using some substantial metals. You'll appreciate that to its fullest when things get awkwardly pear shaped at speed. Having ridden mine through a roll over that repeated 5 1/2 times, I was ready to kiss that trusty frame when I crawled out unscathed. They don't have a ride like that at Six Flags over Georgia.... for good reason.

Steve

Offline jones

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
Thanks very much for the comments everyone, seems like there are a few people on this board interested in this type of thing. Let me just say  :mmr:

John, I'm going to sell pretty much all the parts from the bike. I think (hope) that I will be able to get ALL my money back which I spent on the bike. The bike was $1000 and I have just seen, on ebay, a used petrol tank (without the carbon fibre stripe that mine has and from an earlier model) which went for $340, so... it should be doable. I might even make some money!

I'll be using the rear brakes from the bike, but maybe not the disc. I will sell the front brakes.

Yesterday I found a pair of shocks at a wreckers, but they are a bit pricey. $110 each  :bugeye: Still, that's better than the Edge price of $850 for 3 :jaw: I am on sort of a tight budget, but that's part of the fun!

Today I am going to go and get those shocks for the front and possibly a rear shock. I'll also try to mount the engine. Since  :worthless: I will also take some updated pics and post them here.

Stay tuned!

Andrew
Andrew

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
Andrew,

That would be a real killing if you can get the engine for free, and a bit of left over loose change in your pocket as well.

Have you got machining facilities or can this all be built with a chop saw, welder and a hand drill?

I will say now, I am not into this sort of thing (except for the bikes bit), but I just like to see how other people get on with totally different projects to what I get up to. It is fascinating.

John

Offline jones

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
I have a workshop for model engineering which has a 12"x36" lathe, mill drill, shaper, drill presses, and angle grinders but almost all of this buggy can be made with hand tools. It just means you have to buy a few more parts so it becomes more costly.
Andrew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:00:39 PM »
Yup, your right  :worthless:

Sounds like you've got the whole thing under control. Hope you make out with selling the parts.

By the way, I went to that site, I like the accessories that come with these carts. I didn't know they came in sets though.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline jones

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »
Yeah, you can buy the karts in kit form and weld them together yourself. However, mine is 100% built in house to save money, and build my welding and fabrication skills. Will have pics soon when I finish.
Andrew

Offline jones

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 03:19:32 AM »
OK, I have done a bit more since the last update. HAVE PICS!

Close up of the bars which I added to the front of the frame:

Put on the rear suspension mounts:

Cut the frame :scratch:

Then welded it back together 20mm downwards. The HUGE Suzuki engine won't fit otherwise :headbang:

I also bought two shocks from a yamaha XT-550. Unfortunately the designer of the Edge buggies says that I will have to upgrade the springs in them to make them work properly. I will see how it goes.

Andrew
Andrew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 04:14:22 AM »
Hi Andrew

Great Project  :thumbup: real neat welding job, welding is one skill I couldn't get to grips with, so have huge admaration for any one who can :bow:

Look forward to your next up date

:wave:
Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 05:35:43 AM »
Stew,

Where are you based?

I would be only too happy too happy to share any knowledge I may have with welding.
The welder is here if you are not too far away.

N/Wales
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »
Gettin' excited yet Andrew, I know I did when I got my engine in....it's almost finished init...

Well not quite, but you must feel like you're getting on with this.... :)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »
By the way, I went to that site, I like the accessories that come with these carts. I didn't know they came in sets though. 

Yeah, you can buy the karts in kit form and weld them together yourself.

Not quite what I had in mind. It's those two nice females sitting on the Barracuda.  :)

I see your mounting the engine on the side. Won't that make it a bit unbalanced in the handling department?

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »
Stew,

Where are you based?

I would be only too happy too happy to share any knowledge I may have with welding.
The welder is here if you are not too far away.

N/Wales

Hi Darren

I'm based in Crewe about ten minutes from John's in fact I've just come from John's he was doing a bit of milling for me that was too big for my machine.
Cheers

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »
Oh yes of course you are, that "Stew"  :wave:

OK you chaps over the pond, shut your eyes cos I just know you won't relate to this next bit....

I'm Nr Porthmadog and I know it doesn't look far on the map these roads are not what you could call quick.....!!

I think it took me nearly two hrs to get to Johns last time.
You are more than welcome all the same, though it might be a bit far for you just for a quick demo on welding?
But if you do get down this way do give me a shout.... :D

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »
I don't want to take away from Andrews nice build here, but I mentioned earlier in the htread that I had pics of a buggy I had built back in 1976. Found the pics and here they are.

Now back to Andrews nice buggy build. :dremel:  :clap:

Bernd

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »
Still cant wait to see it finished. I am having a hard time tracking down engines. I would really like to have an XR650 but... If only I knew a motorcycle guy, hmmm maybe on in the new jersey area. YEAH Eric, any good leads on salvaged bikes up your way???

Offline jones

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 03:57:13 AM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Bernd, that looks like SO MUCH FUN. You did a really good job on that buggy.
The buggy will be unbalanced, it's sort of inherent in the design. HOWEVER, I will be putting a large (35L) fuel tank and car battery on the other side of the buggy to try and balance it out... when it's full of fuel.

I have a small update. I have done 2.5 of the 4 engine mounts. I need to get some bolts to do the front and rear mounts because they need to be removable so that I can get the engine in and out.

All mounts have these machined washers (made on the lathe) so that if it needs to be moved slightly I can machine a slightly thicker/thinner washer to move the engine.

Here is a picture of the frame as it is now

And Rocky likes to think he has helped a bit

Andrew
Andrew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »
Thanks Andrew,

Now that you mention the tank and battery I do rememeber seeing them on the buggy site. Now it makes sense.

Great idea with the washers. One never thinks of using a system like that to shim sideways. It's alway up and down.

I don't think Rocky helps. I think he supervises. He just lets you think he's helping. Ask Bogs his Bandit does the supervision in his shop and don't let him tell you different.  :D

I'm realy interested in the drive train and steering on that buggy. But I can wait till you get to it.

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »
Good work so far Andrew. On my trike frame design I am doing almost the same thing with the shims and engine placement. Glad to see I am not the only one!

Eric

Rocky's job is to supervise, criticize and heavily observe!
Science is fun.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
Tim
I'll have to do some checking to see if my old connections are still existent, but wrecked motorcycles are not a problem to find. The local Insurance Salvage Auction has them almost every sale. Problem is that after I sold my company, I no longer have a motor vehicle dealers license, so I can't register directly to buy at the sales.

I doubt there will be any major balance problem since the motor is counterweighted by a human backside. My concern would be more about if and when the motor lets go and that human backside is there to collect all the flying shrapnel....LOL

Steve

Offline jones

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2008, 09:16:11 PM »
Cheers everyone for the comments.

I sit dead in the middle so no help counterbalancing the engine there, but I don't think I will notice if it's a BIT out of balance.

Hopefully the engine won't let go. It's only done 9,500 km and this engine is VERY reliable. However, I will already have to put an aluminium heat shield between the cockpit and the motor so that should provide some protection.

Here we don't need any licence to register at the auctions to buy damaged vehicles. It's great!

Andrew
Andrew

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
Andrew,
This particular auction sale is "run" by the insurance companies doing business here in the state. The sale is a primary source for auto salvage yards in a 4 state area. That is why the need for a dealer's license. Otherwise you'd have to pay the taxes on each purchase. I used to pick up the odd stolen/recovery vehicle to resell, but you really had to look them over closely before bidding or you could easily wind up with a badly cooked motor or tranny. You'd be surprised how badly a car thief can beat on one when he makes a run for it.

Steve

bogstandard

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 04:31:14 AM »
I used to pick up the odd stolen/recovery vehicle to resell

Ahha! A used car saleman. You don't have a law degree as well?

Now I know where all the slick talk comes from. ::) ::)

Bogs

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »
John
Guilty as charged, Your Honor...LOL  Cars, Lorries, farm equipment and industrial machinery of many stripes.... I've sold it all.

It was even more devious than that. Here in the US the tax laws used to allow you to donate a car to charity and claim a deduction equal to the "Blue book" value of the automobile. The car didn't even have to be running. I was a bit more ethical than most. I never donated one that couldn't be driven, but I sure bought them cheaply. Sadly, they changed the tax laws and now you can only deduct what the charity is able to sell the car for.... a huge difference in most cases.

Steve

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »
I used to pick up the odd stolen/recovery vehicle to resell

Ahha! A used car saleman. You don't have a law degree as well?

Now I know where all the slick talk comes from. ::) ::)

Bogs

:lol: I love it.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »
Andrew, where you at man???   I talked with BrassMachine the other day and he recommened the GS500 engine for a few different reasons. Any chance you will be done with in the next couple months? :) If so make sure to let us know what you think. So far is there anything different you would do? I wondered if you could have cut the upper frame tube that the shifter linkage mounts to? Right above the engine head and shift the engine towards center anymore? I am not a little fella so I dont think the unbalanced weight would be as much of a factor but Ever inch over would help. Thanks
Tim

Offline jones

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 07:35:48 PM »
Hey zeusrekning,

I think the GS500 engine is a great engine for this buggy, but it is VERY wide. The buggy should be finished by the 1st of february. I've been working 9 hour days just on the buggy and I might have a friend come and help in a few days.

I had originally planned to cut the upper frame as you describe, but it is very lucky that I didn't. The seat I got only JUST fits in between the top frame rails. If I had moved the engine in a bit in wouldn't fit.
Also, the engine is air cooled so it gets very, very hot. I didn't want to have it too close to me during driving. Also going to put an aluminium heat shield between me and the engine.
Another reason not to do that is that at the bottom of the engine there is a large cylindrical protrusion in line with the crankshaft (maybe for the ignition, clutch or bearings I'm not sure). This part of the engine is already inside the frame. I will get a picture for you right now.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew

Offline jones

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
OK, here's an update.

Finished modifying the steering rack. Instead of tacking a bush on one end, I decided to machine a press fit bushing on the lathe to press into the rack. I might have to bore it out a bit more, but at the moment it works perfectly.

Rear bearing plates arrived from Edge, so now the rear swingarm is 100% complete except paint

520 50 tooth sprocket from a motorcycle shop in Brookvale was $40 new. The guy went through all the 520 50 tooth sprockets to find me the cheapest, AND then he gave me a discount! I think it looks pretty good. The place was called APW motorcycles.

Picked up a seat on ebay. A friend and I bought the pair for $140, and I got the more faded one because I need the reclining lever on the left. It won't fit on the right because of the engine.

Mounted the oil cooler at the back of the buggy. If I was to do it again I would save some money by using rigid steel pipes, rather than the expensive oil cooler pipes.

Removed the rear brake assembly from the bike

Made the suspension pivot pins. The rear one is a bit longer than stock because I made the pivot wider.
Instead of threading the end of the pins I decided to use cotter/split pins through the end of the bars. I also bored out the nuts to weld them on the pins, rather than threading them on.

Seat rails without the holes drilled in them

One of the wing supports done. It was easier to cut the correct angles than I expected

Also, I fitted the front suspension mounts. I had to tack and grind off the top suspension mount like 10 times to get it in the right spot and square to everything. Magnets helped hold it in place but made the arc (during welding) go a little bit strange

I hope to have the buggy done by the 1st of feb. It will be close, but I think I can make it, especially if my friend comes over to help.

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:59:44 AM by jones »
Andrew

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
Looking great! Im watching closely, as the ZX-9 is going to go along a similar route to that.. but likely 3 wheels.. so I can keep it licensed as a Motorcycle...

Unless I get a wild hair after cleaning out garage space.. and make a small dar like the DP1 or something.
SPiN Racing

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 03:08:43 AM »
Hi Andrew great progress  :thumbup:, looks a very neat job  :clap:

Have

Fun
Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »
Andrew,

You mentioned the hoses for the oil cooler and should have gone with solid tubing. I'm sure you know that vibration is an enemy of rigid tubing. You'd probably spend time mounting it with rubber mounts and replacing worn through tubing if it rubbed against the frame or some other part.

Just my view.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I'd love to build one too, but I've got to many projects as it is now. :)

regards,
Bernd

Offline jones

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »
Hi all,

haven't posted in a while because I got fed up with how long it was taking to build. However, HERE IT IS! Pretty much finished. I've taken it apart for painting. Then it's just reassemble and a few odd jobs (wiring, brake line, throttle cable...) and it's done!

Here's a pic of the buggy before I took it apart:

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »
Nice Andrew. Love to see some pics when your finally sitting in it and runnin about.  :ddb: :ddb:

Those rims look familar. Are they VW?

Again nice looking buggy.  :nrocks:  :nrocks: :beer: :beer: :nrocks: :nrocks:

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 01:11:34 AM »
Good job Andrew  :thumbup:

You should be very proud of your good work, looking forward to seeing the finish paint job.

Have fun

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »
That`s looking great Andrew!  :thumbup:

Blummin well done....  :clap:

Looking forward to seeing the painted, finished buggy.

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline jones

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 05:54:46 AM »
Cheers everyone, it's support like that which has made this possible.

Small update, the paint I used looked AMAZING in gloss black undercoat. Then I put satin black top coat on it and... it was terrible. Turned out the paint had gone off so the paint company has sent me a new tin in gloss. Should look fantastic!

The paint is from www.kbs-coatings.com.au
Highly recommended, but I haven't really tested it yet.
It's like POR-15 but better, and made in Australia.
Andrew

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 07:30:34 AM »
That is a really nice build - I do hope you get a lot of fun from it - worth all that effort.
Cheers mate - well done.

Peter

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 07:36:12 AM »
Looking good Andrew!!!

Are you going to use the rear caliper off the bike or the front?

Tim

Offline jones

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
Hey Tim,

I'm using the rear caliper, rear disc and rear master cylinder. I'm a bit worried about it because you said the brakes are not great with the front caliper, which I would think would be more powerful than the rear one. I guess I'll find out on the test drive.

Thanks very much Peter.

Andrew
Andrew

Offline jones

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 06:43:52 AM »
THE BUGGY IS FINISHED!!! (sort of)

Just need a brake specialist to check out the braking system tomorrow (which doesn't work well at all) and it's test drive time. Then I'll just clean up the wiring, tighten up some bolts, etc.

Fun fun fun!
Andrew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
Hey jones, thought we lost you there. Haven't seen you post in a while.

Nice souding engine. Can't wait for some vids of you running around in it.

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
Well done looks a cool bit of machinery  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Look forward to seeing the vid of the test drives.

Have fun

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
Looking/ sounding good Andrew!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »
Wow! That is some machine - should be a bit nippy by the looks of it  :lol:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »
In a word..... Sweeeeeet!    :thumbup:

Welcome back.... We missed the many pic's from this one :(

Brake expert.... What's the gig? Could help a fair bit over the web with the right pic's etc, but if you got it covered I'll settle for the test pilots video  :ddb:

Good job that man  :dremel:

Ralph.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »
Awesome work Andrew!!!

Are you you using the front caliper off the bike? I had very poor brakes and worried that the caliper wouldn't be enough. I put new pads on and re-bled. Now they work fine.
Tim

Offline jones

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
Cheers everyone, I think I've found the solution to the brakes problem.

The master cylinder is tiny, from the rear brake of the bike, and the new brake line is all flexible hose which can expand ever so slightly. This results in almost no brakes. I'm going to try putting a larger car cylinder on the pedal and that should solve the problem.

Zeus, I'm using the rear brakes. I've tried bleeding them so much but it doesn't make a difference, AFAIK all the air bubbles are gone. I'll get the new cylinder on monday and I'm fairly certain that will fix it. The caliper had pretty much new pads on it when I got it.

Thanks for the comments everyone,

Andrew
Andrew

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
AFAIK all the air bubbles are gone

Reminds me of a little, slightly embarrassing memory......

A long time ago... (well, over 10 years)  I once spent damn near a whole day trying to figure out why I couldn't get "a pedal" on a Peugeot 405 after replacing the brake master cylinder.

I had bled it the best part of 20 times and couldn't get the brakes to work.:bang:

Thinking of all sorts of crazy things  :scratch: I lost sight of what I was trying to achieve with the bleeding and the golden rule..... Air bubbles rise in liquid!

The eventual epiphany lead me to Bleed the brakes with the rear calipers pivoted on the top bolt, turned up in the air with a block of wood where the discs and pads should be to prevent the piston from coming out.... Why :scratch:   Because the bloody bleed nipples were on the bottom of the calipers  :doh:

Hope all goes well  :thumbup:  Waiting on the "stunt" videos  :ddb:

Ralph.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 04:27:06 AM »

Because the bloody bleed nipples were on the bottom of the calipers  :doh:

Ralph.

Ralph,

That`s a reminder of a late night/ early morning session on a Reliant, sidevalve van.

Perrishin` cold snow outside, (& inside!)...... Me underneath..... Herself working the pedal.......

We were getting married next day!  ::)

And we`re still married.... To each other!  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:31 PM »
AFAIK all the air bubbles are gone

Reminds me of a little, slightly embarrassing memory......

A long time ago... (well, over 10 years)  I once spent damn near a whole day trying to figure out why I couldn't get "a pedal" on a Peugeot 405 after replacing the brake master cylinder.

I had bled it the best part of 20 times and couldn't get the brakes to work.:bang:

Thinking of all sorts of crazy things  :scratch: I lost sight of what I was trying to achieve with the bleeding and the golden rule..... Air bubbles rise in liquid!

The eventual epiphany lead me to Bleed the brakes with the rear calipers pivoted on the top bolt, turned up in the air with a block of wood where the discs and pads should be to prevent the piston from coming out.... Why :scratch:   Because the bloody bleed nipples were on the bottom of the calipers  :doh:

Hope all goes well  :thumbup:  Waiting on the "stunt" videos  :ddb:

Ralph.

Ralph... for almost that reason, I bought a power bleeder. The brakes on my 944 were a bear...

makes for a one man easy bleed job.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
 :lol: well at least I'm not the only one!!   :lol:

A Reliant David!!!  Brave man!  :)  Glad to know it all worked out  :thumbup:

Eric, there were 3 of us!!! All stumped  :doh:  The power bleeders are good for most app's but this way just a mad design thing..... It created a huge pocket of air in the top of the calipers??? Peugeot always have been a nightmare to work on!  ::)

Sorry for the slightly :offtopic: sidetrack Andrew..... Is it working yet?

Ralph.

Offline jones

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 03:57:51 AM »
It sure is! I just got back from a mate's property in Mudgee where I had a good drive (until the chain eventually fell off because I hadn't loctited the bolts holding the sprocket on)

Here is a video before I left for Mudgee. The buggy was only running on one cylinder and was pretty gutless, but I fixed that and at Mudgee it was an absolute WEAPON. So quick! Will put up the short video I took in a bit.

Cheeers,
Andrew
Andrew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
Looks like and sounds like some guys are having a great time.

Can't wait to see a vid from Mudgee.

Bernd

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
And that was using only 1 cylinder? !  :bugeye:

David D
David.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »
Cool!  :beer: Can't wait to see it on two!

Offline jones

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
VIDEO!

Andrew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
Re: My Sidewinder off-road buggy build *VIDEO ADDED*
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2010, 03:47:20 AM »
Great work/ vid/ fun, Andrew!  :thumbup:

Blummin well done!  :clap:

David D
David.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2010, 08:44:01 AM »
Now that looks like fun!!  :headbang:

You and your mates will have a right laugh with that little buggy.  :thumbup:

Nice work.

Ralph.

Offline Warrenm

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »
I live in Gulgong,which is 30km from Mudgee. What part of the Mudgee area is your place at?

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:07 PM »
Great job Andrew. I need one here for the farm to feed the horses, I would pull a trailer around in no time to feed the B****stds.  BTW nice red pick up in the last vid, I would not mind restoring that for a giggle.

All the best.        Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline jones

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2010, 12:22:03 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone, hopefully I'll be taking the buggy to another property in Gloucester shortly and will take another longer video.

That place at Mudgee isn't mine, it belongs to a mate. They bought this property and a bulldozer and just made all these bike/car tracks through the bush. It is absolutely nuts, but the hard front suspension on the buggy and single rear swingarm made it extremely bumpy.
The place is on hill end road, about 10 minutes past Hargraves.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Wow, love it, it looks amazing fun and sounds the part - after all that opposite lock you'll have arms like popeye in no time!  :thumbup: