Author Topic: Hi From SBWHART (Stew)  (Read 9053 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Hi From SBWHART (Stew)
« on: December 16, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »
Hi

I thought it was about time I introduced myselve.

I'm married with two grown up kids

I'm a semi retired engineer, fished full time work 18 months ago working for BAE systems, since then I've been working part time for the same company.

I origonaly served an apprentiship as a tool and gauge maker with the Ministry of Defence MOD, but I've not worked on the tools for nearly 40 years. I took up model engineering about six years, as a hoby. My first project was the beam engine Mary by Tubal Kain

After this I kind of drifted arround macking bits a pieces for friends and making bits for sail on ebay mainly the Minnie traction engine, to build up my workshop kit. My work shop (shed) is 3 meteres square (thats 3ft 3 inch is old money) so its small, my machine is a Chesters 3 in 1.

My latest project is a 3 1/2" model of a London and North Western Railway (LNWR)  Jumbo locomotive to the design of LBSC design.

Well thats me;- the only thing I can add is that I live close to John (bogstandard) and had the pleasure of meeting him and he's a real nice guy.

Have Fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline vince69619

Re: Hi From SBWHART (Stew)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
Hi Stew,

Very nice work!  Maybe I can produce work like that some day.

Vince.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
Stew,

Welcome aboard. I think you'll enjoy yourself here.

That's quite an impressive build for a first time engine. I just can't get over you Brit's putting out such nice work in such tiny shops.

And yes Bogs is quite the guy. Unfortunatley I live across the pond and haven't had the pleasure of meeting him.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:25:53 PM »
I visited Stew last Tuesday, and admired that beam engine as soon as he showed it to me. It is even better in real life.

The workshop is I would guess, an English model engineers standard size. There is a place for everything, and everything is in it's place. A real model engineer is our Stew, throws nothing away, just in case. He classes himself as a newbie, and I will tell you now, he is far from it.

And just to answer Bernd about our workshop sizes.

In the UK we have a lot of green fields and rolling hills, but in the northern part of the country, building land is at a premium, so you usually get only a small garden. By the time SWMBO has her bit for drying washing, and planting things that pop up out of the ground in assorted colours, there is not much left, and we have to make do with what we have.

The picture below shows how a lot of the northern towns looked, and some are still like this. Houses built by business mogels to house his workers. Lose your job, and you were out on the street. So where would you fit a 30ft X 20ft workshop? The gardens were just big enough to have a small washing line, a coal bunker and a brick built outside khazi.
Now you can see why most of us have small workshops.

Bogs

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
Hey Stew!

Nice looking engine that one

Welcome to the club.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »
  :offtopic:  This may not be the place to answer you back Bogs, but it'll be short and to the point. As many of you have seen my name, it's not very American is it? Well truth be told I was born in East Germany. Moved to the states in 1959 with my parents. It's a longer story but I promised to keep it short. So I know about small workshops and  land availability. I wish at times I had a smaller place. Believe me having a lot of space is not that great. It just gives you a bigger place to loose your tools in. :( A samller place would force me to be a bit neater and more orginized.
People here in the states have a simalar problem living in the city, but a majority of the house have baements with very little head room. No place for a Bridgeport. :)

Bernd

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »
My last shop was in a carboard box in a hole in the road  :(

Regards

Monty Pie Thon

:beer:

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »
Ahah!

Another Brit with a sense of humour, absolutely great.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:05:55 PM »
Hey Stew... I think we may have met before??!!   :scratch:

Still.... In answer to this thread.... WOW  :bugeye:

That's a sweet engine and no mistake!  The loco looks like it's coming along nicely too  :thumbup:

3x3 ehh.... Lucky @$Łger I've only got 2.5x2.5 !!! Still it's what you do with it that counts ehh!!?    ::)

I might get to meet you some day?  When I come over to see John we'll have to see if your busy too  :wave:

Bernd.... Not an American name? who would have thought!!? 
There can't be too many names that cannot be found in such a vast country.... I have heard it told in deepest mythology that there are even a Ralph or two out there!!!  :D 

I don't envy you that space Bernd.... I just want it all to myself  :thumbup:  Oh to be able to swing a cat....  :)

Well back to it... Stew, I look forward to hearing your views and viewing your works. Welcome aboard  :)

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:16:33 AM »
Hi Ralph

Yes next time your over at John's I'll pop round and make my introductions. John has my phone number.

Have Fun

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:36:28 AM »
Hi Bernd

To much space is not a bore to us Island Bound Brits  :beer: Traveled down the west coast of the US a few years ago from Seatle to Nothern Calfonia, down the I 5. great roads stunning scenary, Loved the biker clubs crusing along on their motorised sofa chairs in packs of Fivity or more.

Have Fun

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »
Not saying it's a bore, it's more of a pain at times. :)

Think of the US as a much larger island. We're surrounded by water too. :wave:

Bernd

:lol:                                :lol:                            :lol:                                   :lol:
P.S. I hate to be a Pual Revere, but "THE BRITISH ARE COMING". Don't know how many lights to use since they're coming by interweb.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »
Not saying it's a bore, it's more of a pain at times. :)

Think of the US as a much larger island. We're surrounded by water too. :wave:
Don't forget that its frozen on the north side
Bernd

:lol:                                :lol:                            :lol:                                   :lol:
P.S. I hate to be a Pual Revere, but "THE BRITISH ARE COMING". Don't know how many lights to use since they're coming by interweb.

I think its too late for warnings Bernd. By the time we get warned they will be long gone. Better to have some tea ready for them then we can catch them while they are having their spot of tea and crumpets. By the way, I am envious of your excess shop space as well.

Cheers :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 07:46:11 PM »
You guys drink beer, right?  :scratch:  :)

I'll have a keg of beer ready then. We can sit around and talk about our modifications and such.  :clap:  :thumbup:  :dremel:

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
You guys drink beer, right?  :scratch:  :)

I'll have a keg of beer ready then. We can sit around and talk about our modifications and such.  :clap:  :thumbup:  :dremel:

Bernd

Gotta leave it out though so it is warm. I believe that is how they drink it  :scratch:  :beer:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 10:04:52 PM »

Gotta leave it out though so it is warm. I believe that is how they drink it  :scratch:  :beer:

Eric

Oh ya, I forgot. ((Need a yuck smiley)just kidding Eric) I like my beer at 40 degree. Molson Golden, BTW  :beer:

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 03:04:42 AM »
Our colonial cousins.

I can count on one hand how many beers I have a year, usually with a nice meal out in a restaurant (none of that overpriced red and white muck here).

We don't drink our beer warm, nor too cold either (unless you are a chemical head and go for lager or that 'orrid American brown tinted water stuff), so we can actually savour the true richness of the brew, it isn't covered up by freezing your taste buds.

On the other hand, sometimes a little tipple in the house when the mentor comes round, but that is any white spirits (vodka, baccardi, gin, European grain or fruit spirits etc), and that should always be poured straight out of the freezer, where it is permanently stored.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 04:25:27 AM »
The US has some real good bear, visited Roslin in Washington State where they filmed the series norther exposure, had a couple of pints in the Brick:- there micro brew's, as good a bear you could whish for.  :beer:

Also visited the Coors brewery at Golden Colarado tried there choclate bear: wouldn't recomend it.

Cheers

Stew