Author Topic: Welcome home  (Read 6913 times)

Offline vince69619

Welcome home
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:13:36 PM »
Hello to all,

I am Vince, living on the outskirts of Reading in Berkshire UK.

Well what a find this place is!!!!  I got here after following links from RDG Tools and Ralph's ball cutter videos.

Ok, about me (and my wife Nicola)...
I am learning Model Engineering having interests in steam and electric passenger hauling locomotives.
We have built a full size dalek which is radio controlled and has quite a lot of home made electronics in it.  We fundraise for charity with the dalek.
I am into electronics and PIC programming.  I have a mobile disco which runs on a couple of laptops.
We have a garden railway.

In the workshop I have a Chester Crusader lathe, an Axminster mill, bandsaw, mig welder, compressor, grinder, so I am fairly well set-up.

Looking forward to exchanging ideas on engineering techniques (you teach me) or PIC programming etc where I can help as much as my ability allows!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Welcome home
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:40:53 PM »
Welcome aboard Vince,
Nice title, yes suppose it does feel a bit like home....certainly a comfortable place to be...

Sounds like you should fit just right in too.....pic's please when you can as it's partly what makes this place so great  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »
Welcome Vince. :wave:

You'll fit right in with the rest us.  :headbang: and as Darren says we thrive on pics. :)

I'm into model railroading although at both ends of the spectrum. HO and O scale on the small end and 1 1/2" live steam at the other. In between I dabble in steam engines and anything mechincal. Also interested in electronics as it applies to model railroading. And I'm interested in the PICs but never really got into them. To much other fun to get into trouble with.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline vince69619

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:49:47 PM »
Here is my workshop...

Offline vince69619

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »
And here is our dalek with a fellow charity fund raiser...

Offline vince69619

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 05:05:01 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome!

We have some OO scale railway as well as the G-scale, then we jump to 5-inch scale for steam and electric locos.  We have a class 37 which is running, a class 55 deltic which is a part built kit and is work in progress right now, a class 23 baby deltic which needs a refurb.  We have a 'Simplex' steam loco, it's a freelance 0-6-0 tank engine, it just needs a little tlc to be in running condition, and a GWR King loco which is part built, we have the boiler complete and platework for the tender as a kit, the chassis is about 60% complete.  I plan to work on the King when my engineering skills are improved.

I have been involved in electronics since I was a teenager, and engineering only in the last few years.

We exhibit each year at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in the model tent.  So far it's mainly been the King that we take, but this year we took the dalek as well.  They were so impressed with the dalek that they said to leave the King at home next year (but it's a STEAM show!).

The dalek was built for charity fund raising but has got us into Dr Who and made us many friends.  We get out to quite a few events in the year including the model exhibiion at Milestones (Basingstoke) and the Merstham model steam show, so it's not unusual for us to be able to combine most of our hobbies in one show!

Vince.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
Hi Vince, welcome aboard pull up a chair and make yourself at home  :beer:

The Dalek is quite impressive, though I think your colleague has the edge in the good looks department, look forward to chatting.

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:22:22 PM »
Hi Vince,  Score 1 for the video  :thumbup:

Well I think it's scored about 3.... But who's counting  ::)   

I like yous workshop.... Typically over run with cool bits and bobs.... Just the way it should be, everything in some place and you know it's there somewhere  :)

I like the dalek too.... But also have to agree with CC  :thumbup: (noted that 6 more views of that than your workshop  :D Male based website?!?!?!  :D )

Well it's far too late to write my usual essay!!! So I'll just finish with this....

See you around, and hope to get some knowledge about this PIC whatsitthingy!!! I'll soon figure out what it is..... When you tell me!!

Ralph.

Oh yer and....  :mmr: .... But then you know that already ehh??!
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
Welcome Vince!

I haven't done much programming of the PIC, I do occasionally play with the AVR chips though. I am sure your experience will be much valued with that. Let's see the garden railway and the mobile disco.

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »
Hi Vince

How about a steam Darlek  :mmr:

I'm into steam myselve building a LNWR Jumbo to an LBSC design

Have Fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 08:27:54 AM »
Welcome Vince,

If it carries on this way, we will outnumber our American cousins very soon.

Supposedly there is a 'Dalek' factory in my hometown of Crewe, but it's location is being kept secret because they don't want to be inundated with requests from Dr. Who fans.

I also see we have a bit of equipment in common. I have recently taken delivery of a Crusader, and I am busily bringing it up to a high spec production machine. I am very pleased with the results so far.

Just enjoy your stay

John

Offline vince69619

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
Hi All,

If you don't mind I will answer some of the points generally...

Yes the idea of a steam dalek has been suggested a number of times, one spark and the whole thing would go up in smoke, as he's mainly plywood.  So maybe not such a good move.

I am pleased with my Crusader.  It's much better than the Boxford I did have, but some of that is because the motor was giving up on the boxford.  The crusader is very powerful I am pleased with it.  I am yet to use the screw cutting other than to run the power feeds.

Crewe is also a good place for Railways as far as I remember.  I am guessing that 'This Planet Earth' are in Crewe then?  They are the company licensed to sell daleks, so long as you agree to the conditions, which include not getting inside it, and probably not taking it out.  They cost about £2500 when a home made one is about £500 for paint and some bits you are better of buying (like swimming pool matting and large oil seals).

The garden railway is the poor cousin as it isn't finished and keeps getting neglected.  If I take on less projects (or finish some) I might get some of it done!

I shall see what photos I can find.

Vince.