Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

What do I do with this stuff called wood?

(1/4) > >>

bogstandard:
My neighbour the other day shouted over the fence, 'want some wood for making bases for you engines', not knowing that I hate using the stuff, but rather than refuse and upset him, I said OK.

It is supposed to be something called red oak, and he gave me chunks (and I mean BIG chunks, in fact, 2" thick planks cut in half) of the damned stuff.

I can shape it using my normal metal working techniques, but where do I go from there.

I have all sorts of spirit based stains knocking about, a gallon of sanding sealer from my model boat days, and a few tins of water based acrylic varnish. What do I do with it to get a nice finish on it?

Please, no hoity toity carpenters jargon and techniques, just info to stop it turning out like driftwood, and get it looking almost decent.

John

Bernd:
John,

Is it rough cut or does it have some what smooth surfaces? The problem here is you engine sizes are going to vary and so will your bases. But I would run them through a planer to get both sides nice and smooth. Perhaps you can cut them to varing sizes. Then get a router bit and put on a fancy edge. A bit of sanding and then add your sanding sealer. I wouldn't stain the wood unless you don't like the wood in its natrual color. Then a few coats of the varnish with a light sanding between coats let dry and you ready to mount the engine.

Now, I'm not being funny here, but I wouldn't do that in a cold shop. I believe the temp should be at least around 70 degress F for the varnish to harden properly.

If it doesn't work out for you then use the wood for blocking up machines or something like that.

Bernd

Darren:
Shellac based sealers give easy and fantastic finished, B&Q has them.....Hardwoods like oak really come up well.

John you have a great gift there  :wave:

bogstandard:
This is stuff that has been sitting outside for a few years to season, and comes in its rough sawn state.

Not having a planer, I can usually get a reasonable finish by flycutting wood, in fact treating it the same way as I do metal, but at faster speeds. It is not the shaping, but the finishing I can't seem to get the hang of.

John

Darren:
John, do you have a belt sander?

That would work well with this type of wood, give a very smooth finish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version