The Shop > Tools

Shaper

(1/7) > >>

Darren:
Guys,

Can I ask those of you with experience on your comments/views on Shaping machines, they intrigue me,

TIA  :wave:

bogstandard:
Darren,

At one time no self respecting workshop would be without one, but its use nowadays has been mainly superceded by the mill.

They are perfect for making flat faces and grooving cuts etc.

The last time I used one in anger was the late 80's, to machine a plate perfectly flat, so that I could bolt a cracked mosickle crankcase to, so that it could be welded up without distorting.

They can be picked up fairly cheaply nowadays because, as I said, they are almost a redundant type of machine.

There is usually a very ready market for good used machines amongst the model engineering fraternity, due to the fact, a lot of these machines were used by the older machinist, who know how to use them to their best advantage.

Very good used machines can be picked up for little money, but they can be a bit of a minefield, if you want to purchase one, get one with all the bells and whistles in good working condition, auto feeds, clapper box, vice etc. because any missing bits might be rather hard to find or replace.

There are in fact a few hand operated ones knocking about, but in my mind, that is just another version of self flagellation. A horse is for riding on, not for pulling along like a stubborn mule. But I suppose they would be ok for the odd job like cutting a keyway or slot.

John

Darren:
Thanks John,

I remember using one at school some years ago now, they still hold a fascination from then I suppose. I've been scouring the net tonight for info on what they can do.
Quite a bit if you are prepared to put the time in and figure out how...and wait....and wait.... :)

I asked cos there is one just around the corner from me going, apparently there is more tooling there as well. Local man who everyone went to for that sort of job.
Seems he's no longer with us and his son has no interest. It was my friendly scrap man that gave me the nod, apparently he was asked to go there and clear it all out.
Thankfully the scrap man refused, asked the owner to try to find someone who'd appreciate it rather than scrap it. Apparently scrap values are so low at the moment it's not worth him shifting it.

Anyways, I'm to "view" Sat morning and currently trying to find as much info as I can..........hard without knowing any details though... :dremel:

Bernd:
A bit tough on those shapers are we Bog's?  :)

Just think of the times you wanted to cut an internal gear. Set up an indexing device and cut internal gears. How about that splined shaft, just to mention a few.

The planer took over for the milling macgine. I haven't seen any machin take over for the shaper. Ya both had the same concept as far as how to remove metals.

Wish I'd find an old shaper. They're great for doing internal shaping. Something that's a bit tough on a milling machine.

Bernd

Bernd:

--- Quote from: Darren on December 11, 2008, 04:13:40 PM ---Anyways, I'm to "view" Sat morning and currently trying to find as much info as I can..........hard without knowing any details though... :dremel:

--- End quote ---

Darren,

If I were you I'd over him a fare price and take it home. These machines are good for some of the things I mentioned in my previous post. Even if there are parts missing they can be made in the home shop. You may only need it for that occcasional odd job, but when you do it'll be a life saver.  :dremel:  :)

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version