Author Topic: Todays finds  (Read 3667 times)

Offline richburrow

Todays finds
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »
It is amazing the stuff schools throw out, I had a look in the dumping spot and found these today, got to be useful for something

Deep stainless sink, there were two. I am going to use one for the garden and the other is for a mate, we are going to make a firepit out of it.

Some useful bits and bobs, wheels will be good for something

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Todays finds
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »
Yup. Finds like that are very cool.

Good job!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
you bin in me shed    :)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »
Yes it is, I don't know how it is on your side of the pond. But on this side peoples greed, and entitlement have ruined a good source of low cost stuff. I spent 35 years with the large metro school system. When I started they had a department were any one (general public included) could by the surplus equipment and furniture.

Then a private religious school, got greedy and felt entitled to first choice and got caught removing peoples names off items and placing theirs on them. They were banned from any more sales. They went to court and tried to have the courts force the school board to let them back in and have first choice.

The legal department after looking over the lawsuit decided that it wasn't worth the effort or money generated. If the equipment was at a certain level of newness, useful life left other schools in our system could get it. Luckily I had bought a number of machinery, benches and tables before it ended.

We did bust up and through out a lot of stuff that could be repurposed, and sometimes it almost hurt to do it.

Add to the fact that over here it would cost more to send a truck and crew out to pick up the item and take it back to the warehouse yada,yada. Then it would cost to throw out the item and buy it new for another location. 

That's the way it worked. Now at the rate the local governments are going, they will be using slates and chalk pretty soon. :bugeye:  :bang:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline richburrow

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
You are right there are all sorts of rules that get in the way. If we are talking machinery it is scary the stuff that gets thrown away. I heard of a school that buried all the workshop machinery and built the new site on top.
Metal does not hang around long at the moment, eye will be keeping my eye on the dumping spot so not to miss out.