The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Rather Disturbed

<< < (3/3)

Bernd:
I just have to relay this little trick (stunt?) I did at work. I got good a picking locks on tool boxes. One guy bet me that I couldn't get into his tool box because he had "Master Lock" (brand name) on it. It was the kind that you use a key in on the bttom. Well I was working second shift and had a few free moments. I noticed that the lock was one of those that has several plates that are rivited together. Now they've shown how a gun shot through it would keep it from opening.  :bugeye: Well ya. The whole inside is jammed up. Anyway, back to the rivets. I figured in order to round over the heads they had to be soft. I tested with a file and sure enough they are soft. So a few minuets filing and the bottom plate cam off. I then pulled out the tumbler and put the bottom plate back on. The lock still locked but you could now use a screw driver to open it.  :)

A mind is a teribble thing to waste.  :headbang:

Bernd

J. Tranter:
What a lot of people are using now are bump keys. Which are keys cut to the deepest cut and tapped in to the lock.
you can look it up on you tube to see how it is done also.

Rog02:
The first thing I learned when I started my locksmithing course was that "Locks are merely intended to keep honest people honest."

A determined thief will gain access to anything, given enough time and resources.  The object of good security is to make it such a long process to illicitly gain access that a criminal will pass it by or give up and seek an easier target.  I have seen cases of holes being cut into the walls of shops and even the roof to gain access to the contents. 

People often comment on the fact that I keep my tools in locked cabinets even though I operate in a "one man" environment.  I do this for a couple of reasons.  First is to keep my tools away from unskilled wannabes, that would use them improperly (like the time my brother used one of my planishing hammers to drive nails with).  Secondly, by keeping the tools locked in cabinets the thief would not only have to gain access to the shop but then has to pry open the cabinets to get to the good stuff. 

As another layer of security I have added a video system recently.  The cameras run continuously and record to a digital disc similar to a computer hard drive.  My system can capture the past 72 hours of activity before it "falls off" and is recorded over.  It has a battery back up to cover the possibility of power interruption as does the alarm system.  The next best thing to keeping a thief from stealing your stuff is to make sure they get caught. 

Aside from just providing the images to the police (whom, as has been previously noted could care less that your stuff was stolen) it also proves to the insurance company that the crime did indeed happen and you did not just sell or pawn the tools. 

Darren:

--- Quote from: Rog02 on December 14, 2008, 12:08:15 AM ---
Aside from just providing the images to the police (whom, as has been previously noted could care less that your stuff was stolen) it also proves to the insurance company that the crime did indeed happen and you did not just sell or pawn the tools. 

--- End quote ---

Yes, "they" can make you feel quite uncomfortable with their questioning....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version