Author Topic: PLONKER !!!!!! needs help  (Read 6562 times)

Rob.Wilson

PLONKER !!!!!! needs help
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »
Hi Chaps

Do any of you no of some sort of data recovery program ,, preferably FREE ,,,,,,,,,,,, that gets things back when they have been deleted (lots of things)  :coffee:

Dont ask , :doh:  
Rob  

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: PLONKER !!!!!! needs help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
Hi Rob,

If you use Windoze, are they in the Recycle Bin? Click on its icon on the desktop, and have a look. If they are there, click on Restore All. That will put them back where they started (along with everything else in the Bin, which probably includes a lot of stuff you have deliberately deleted).

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
Rob:

This article describes a number of windows based programs.  I'd do some research before deciding on one.  You'll find lots more info with a search on "free undelete program" or something similar.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecovery/tp/free-file-recovery-programs.htm

I use linux and I'm sure there are more under that platform but haven't had to use one for a while (touch wood).

Hope this is of some assistance.

John.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
Hi Andy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the files were to big for the recycle bin  :doh:

Cheers John ,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks for the link  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline dickda1

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »
Before you give up, search for one of the missing files across, for example, the entire C drive in case it is stashed somewhere.  If you deleted files from an attached drive (like a flash drive) they will be deleted forever immediately.  If the files were too big for the recycle bin, then the system will usually ask before deleting from an installed drive.  Carefully look on the display for any window that may be minimized (asking you if you want to delete).

Ultimately, buy a cheap external usb-connected hard drive (they are dirt cheap) and use a free package like Paragon Backup and Recovery to save all your files every 3 or 4 weeks.  This does you no good of course "if the horse has already left the barn", but will stop this situation in the future.

Consider putting important files in attachments and mail them to youself at (google, hotmail, yahoo or where ever).

This has happened to ALL of us at one time or another - sorry that you have joined the sad (but hopefully wiser) club. :hammer:

-Dick
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »
Hi Dick

Thanks for the advice ,,,,,,,,,,,, i was actually backing my files up at the time ,,,,,,,,,,,, but some how deleted them  :doh:

Rob 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:24:38 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
Rob, I recently used a nice piece of free software called PC Inspector "File Recovery". It worked really well a few weeks ago when I accidently deleted some pictures off my memory card.

Failing that, you could try downloading something like the linux based "Ultimate Boot CD". Burn the ISO to a disk, turn off your computer and change the BIOS settings to boot from CD first (before HDD) - check it might boot from CD without going into these settings. On the Ultimate Boot CD there are a good number or programs to try. I think I used MyRescue or it could have been ddrescue. There are loads of programs to try. I`ve managed to recover files of totally destroyed HDD with that boot disk.

Please bear in mind that you can totally screw up system files using the boot disk so it is kind of a last resort unless you know what your doing with it, which, being honest, I don`t fully. However, even with little knowledge it is fairly obvious how to use and it has never let me down.

Chris

Offline philf

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 04:11:26 PM »
Rob,

I once tried the "Ultimate Boot CD" and ended up having to reformat my hard drive - I wouldn't risk using it - I broke my CD in two so that I wouldn't be tempted again! I then had to buy a program called "Recover My Files" which recovered nearly all my data. I tried a few downloads which allowed you to try the recovery and the program would tell you what files it could recover. "Recover My Files" was the only one that worked. It costs $69.95 to register to enable you to do the actual recovery: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

For some time I've used the excellent CCleaner from Piriform for ridding the system of temporary files and cookies. Piriform do a free recovery program called Recuva. If it's as good as CCleaner I'd give it a try: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
I've had good success with NTFS Undelete

http://ntfsundelete.com/

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »
First up, WARNING! Anything you do which writes to the hard-disk, has the potential to actually erase the file that you've deleted! Therefore, try to do AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE on that machine. In particular, DON'T download programs onto it, don't download e-mails, don't do ANYTHING if at all possible.

Now, assuming you've heeded the above.... AND you have a spare computer into which you can put the hard-disk, then we have a fighting chance of recovering most - maybe all - of your files.

You'll need to find an "undelete" or "unerase" tool, which will scan the disk for recoverable files. The thing is, when you delete a file, the computer doesn't really erase it; it just takes its entry out of the file table, so you can't see it any more. The actual file is still there. However, the space the file used is now marked as "available", so anything else (a download, for example) can re-use that space. As soon as that happens, part or all of the original file is lost - except to MI5 and the likes, who can do some very clever stuff (this is why you can download "military grade file erase" tools).

Your very best option is, in summary:

- Put the hard-disk in a second computer, as a slave/second drive.
 - Scan it with a recovery tool from the second computer; you'll probably get back most/all of your files, if you've not downloaded much (it also helps if you have lots of free space, as Windows might have used that first).
 - Once you've recovered what you can, the drive goes back in your computer and all is well with the world.

It's a damn shame you're all the way over the wrong side of the country, or I'd be able to do it for you. If you're headed over Merseyside way in the next few days, let me know, I'm sure we can fix it.

BTW: 2nd best option would be to download an unerase tool to a USB pen drive and run it from there. Just be aware that every minute your computer is switched on risks overwriting some of the deleted data... sorry if that sounds a bit melodramatic, but Windoze is forever writing/rewriting to the drive... same is true of your webbrowser, etc.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 03:05:15 AM »
PhilF - I appreciate you may not have had success with it, but I`ve always got one ready if I ever need it and it has got me out of the crud many many times over the last 5-6 years the UB cd has been going!! I`ve noticed they also have a copy in the IT office at work and my Dad works for a v large company and he was the one who first showed it me from his IT office when I had issues with my computer.

Anyway, good luck. I`m sure we all have our own ideas...I just won`t be paying any money for restoration programs when there are many packed on one CD for free. That being said, there will be many that know much more than me on this subject who browse the forums!... good luck

Offline John Swift

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »

Hi Rob ,

Have you recovered the files yet ,

using another computer I trust , windows has a nasty habit of using hard disc space when it runs out of memory and archiving its own files

I tried the "recova" program first on a UBS stick then my C drive

it listed all deleted files ,old ones  some shown as over recorded others as recoverable

John

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 01:55:12 PM »
Cheers for the advice lads  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: 

I am still working on the problem  ::) 

on spare computer John  :med:

Rob

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
sorted  :D  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:  :D

Mined these computers can be dam hard work at times  :coffee:      ,,,,,,,   much easier to weld stuff   :zap:

Thanks for the help lads  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline John Swift

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 04:22:05 PM »
Rob

thats the news we wanted    :D :) :D

after my computer problems ,I've backed up my important files twice on 2 ITb drives

hows that for being paranoid

John

PS  if you need to use another conputer to  find your mail on a vitsa hard drive ,

its hidden here :--       C:\users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders

it took me 2 days to find this one ,  after a windows  update went wrong

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:53:53 PM by John Swift »