Author Topic: New Special X2 Mill  (Read 39459 times)

Offline krv3000

Re: New Special X2 Mill
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »
 :(  im  still dreeming of having a mill

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »
As to lapping the dovetails I'm actually rather hesitant because of the potential risks involved. A year ago I did a thrust bearing / lap / brass gibs mod to an Arc X0 compound table following the methods presented by David White in a past issue of Model Engineers Workshop. The results were quite impressive, a major improvement in the movements. He also presented his mods to an X1 table including the bearings and lapping in another MEW issue. However, with the SX2P there's more money involved than with the X0 table so I'll have to think carefully before starting that kind of actions with my one and only mill. Yet, I still have the rest of the Carborundum powders down to 500 grit waiting for action. No diamond paste for me, thanks for reminding.

I'm really looking forward to the preparation guide you mention, could give me a good reason to take the table apart again and start fiddling.

Jouko
[/quote]
Hi Jouko, the prep.guide for the SX1L is now on our website here. The base X/Y part of the guide may be useful for your SX2P:
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/prepguides/Super%20X1L%20Mill%20Preparation%20Guide.pdf
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:57:19 AM by ketanswali »
Ketan @ ARC

SamJo

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 06:04:32 AM »
Hi Ketan,

And thank you for informing me!   :thumbup: Had a look at the guide, it looks very logical and the X-Y table part will certainly be helpful. After receiving the mill I already did many of the steps pictured in the guide but I'll take the table apart again and do what's needed. Well, scraping the base doesn't sound too tempting, as I've never tried it before.

Jouko

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 06:32:54 AM »
Hi Ketan,

And thank you for informing me!   :thumbup: Had a look at the guide, it looks very logical and the X-Y table part will certainly be helpful. After receiving the mill I already did many of the steps pictured in the guide but I'll take the table apart again and do what's needed. Well, scraping the base doesn't sound too tempting, as I've never tried it before.

Jouko

I agree, scraping is indeed an art. Using the diamond file on the dovetail is the nearest I would attempt :). But then again, I am not an engineer. Still, there are plenty of people who still happly make swarf without going through all preparation.
Ketan @ ARC

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »
Ketan,
I have downloaded the C3 lathe prep guide as I have a C3, just not from ArcEuro. I am veryimpressed with the detail of info you provided. Any chance there is a similar document for an X2 mill?

Chuck in E. TN
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline ketanswali

• arceurotrade
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 07:06:32 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Sorry we didn't do one for the original X2. We may do one for the SX2P when we get some time. Broadly speaking, the head of the original X2 is similar to the C3 mini-lathe. The head of the SX2/P is similar to SC2/3 mini-lathe. I also think you might find a strip guide for the X2 on one of the mini-mill forums.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:36:24 AM by ketanswali »
Ketan @ ARC

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:41 AM »
I have had the X1 type base and I found if I got the Gibs set near enough used it a bit so it beds in and then check it you will fing it will nead nothing more than the  gibs re setting if you start scraping bits at this stage when it beds in you will have to do it again, I would  just bed it in , the bedways are ok when they leave the factory, just need a bit of setting the long bed ones magnify any bad gib setting I found as updated mine with an Arc long bed kit

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »

Yawellnofine,

What did you expect it's from Leicester -   The best place in the whole wide world :D :D :D

So what am I doing in South Africa it's sunny :D :D :D

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

DaveH

Yep Leicester great place

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-13713798

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »
Hi Peter,

Good job I left!! :D :D :D
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
I saw it on the BBC web site today and thought, I wonder what Dave H did befor he left Leicester, and is that the reason they are not ready ? :lol: :lol:

:ddb: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :ddb:
                                                                                                                     :nrocks:

Sorry      :offtopic:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:14:46 PM by HS93 »

Offline srm_92000

• In NW Leicester
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »
 :bugeye:
I'm Still here !!!
Steve,
I put it back together using all the right parts,
just not necessarily in the right order.:scratch:
(Eric morecambe - ish)