Author Topic: drill press table  (Read 2920 times)

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
drill press table
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:22:50 AM »
I've decided that I would like to update my floor model drill press table.  I currently have a small, round table with a center hole and two radial slots for fastening things down.  I think I would like to make another table which would be square or rectangular.  One requirement will be the addition of an adjustable fence.

There are lots of woodworking drill press tables available, but I would like this to be primarily metalworking, which in my mind dictates that it be made of metal, preferable cast iron or steel.

Have any of you made or modified the table on your drill press?  Would like to see a picture or two if you have something interesting.

Thx...
Chuck

Offline cfellows

• In Memoriam
Re: drill press table
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
Being somewhat impatient, I decided to move ahead with my version of a drill press table add-on.  I had a piece of 3/8" thick aluminum cast tool plate 12" x 16" that seemed to fit the bill.  It was previously used as a sliding table on my tablesaw and although I would have preferred something a little thicker, this stuff ain't cheap and I already had it, so the math was simple.

Here is a picture of the existing drill press table...

Here's new table mounted on top of the old one...

And a picture underneath to see how it is secured...

And for now, I'll clamp a piece of angle aluminum on for an adjustable fence...

That fence is a bit bulky and will probably be replaced with something small eventually.  You might also notice that I radiused the corners and all the edges since I seem to have an increasing tendency to run into things, particularly sharp edges, as I get older!  :big:

Chuck

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: drill press table
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
Nice I like it. :clap: