Author Topic: Motorcycle Museum  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Shadow

Motorcycle Museum
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
As I now only look over the handlebars of my kneewalker, a friend gave me a logo decal from the National Motorcycle Museum to place on it in a prominent position. He suggested I make an effort to visit there and shortly after noon today I stopped as I was passing by. The bikes are just as described in the web link, sitting right out where you can walk up to them or move around them, do everything but touch. I thought some of you I know had bikes like John S., Bogs, and Old-biker-Uk, and others might have a look. I like the early singles but when I got to the Knuckle like my previous ride, it sort of grabbed me by the throat.

http://www.nationalmcmuseum.org/

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
Re: Motorcycle Museum
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:31:48 AM »
Cool site, thanks fer the link

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:56:52 AM »
Been twice last year.

First time I was on a service call in Birmingham and called in as i hadn't been for years and wanted to see what they had done with my two bricks !

[ During the initial building of this museum they ran out of money and made a public appeal, buy a brick for £10, so as I thought it was a good cause I bought two bricks, didn't see mine as they all look the same  :wack: ]

Loads to see but it doesn't appear to be laid out in any order by make or year. I wandered round and it was interesting but by the time I got to hall 3 of 5 my brain had gone into overload, Oh look there's a Triumph, Oh look there's another Triumph etc and i skimmed the rest and left rather disappointed but not really knowing why. later I worked out it was because I was on my own and it's too much to take in.

Couple of months later I had to attend a small exhibition there in one of the show suites and went with a colleague who is also into bikes. The show ticket also gave a free museum ticket so we did the show in 20 minutes and went into the museum for 2 hours  :clap:

Far better this time, partly as I knew what to expect but mainly as we were pointing out features to one another, only regret is I left my camera behind.

There are some very rare beasts there and it's easy to image what the industry would have been like if the various designers had not been strangled by management.

Take a look at this as an example from 1952

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/1952-bsa-mc1.php

Produced at a time when the best we had were plunger frames and staid engineering.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:37:29 AM »
JS

You appear to have been purchasing bricks for a Museum in Iowa ???

Unless, of course, they've moved Iowa to Birmingham.

Awful culture shock for the good folk of Iowa ..  :lol:

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:15 AM »
I picked up a few free logo stickers. If John pm's his address I can send him one to prove where he got his two bricks.

To be fair if you search for the museum you do get US and UK choices returned. I may have to go back on my way home. Somehow I didn't see the Flying Merkel.
There is a guy in town who has a stock vintage BSA and I believe an Ariel square four, he rides them to work and parks them next to the street. Yes John, they were inovators, with "new" things like belt drives.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:12:17 AM »
Ooops.
I though perhaps Shadow was over in the UK on  a trip.

i was talking about the UK one.
John Stevenson

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:18:02 AM »
JS

Been in the UK one, about 1993-4 ish.

Before the Great Fire ...  :(

Agree with you, there was a lot to see... don't know what the situation is now though.

Like the Science museum in London, about a week I think ..

dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.